19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
FSI
United States
Joined 6302 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 19
25 August 2007 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried listen-reading? I left FSI and FIA after finding L-R faster, more interesting, and far more effective.
1 person has voted this message useful

FrenchSilkPie
United States
Joined 6560 days ago

125 posts - 130 votes 
Studies: French

Message 18 of 19
26 May 2008 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
It's been quite a while since those days...almost a year later now!

Surprise suprise, I am back with FIA.
Interesting development: although I am taking French in school, I have been speaking to a minimum because I am trying not to speak French at all. I was getting nervous that I couldn't speak and that maybe this method wasn't working, so while singing along to my favorite French songs (from Les Choristes!)I attempted to say a French R and to my suprise I can very nearly do it! I even tried saying "Robert" with those tricky Rs and it's getting closer! I am not sure about vowels, because I have some trouble distinguishing the french eu vs. oe, u vs. french u (sometimes), etc.

This is great news because a year ago,and even a few months ago, I couldn't do it to save the life of me. This just reaffirms my trust in the listening-not speaking method which I am doing for all my languages--French kind of (french tv,learnables, FIA, but talking in school), Portuguese (no longer because Rosetta Stone from my library online is too difficult for me to get access too), but thanks to the Learnables from my library-- Spanish for certain, German, and possibly Russian, Czech or Hebrew. I say that now, but knowing myself, I think I have 1-2hrs daily to study if I don't have that much homework, and each lesson is 20 minutes. So I guess I will stick with French, German, and Spanish--maybe Russian because I have heard that is hard so I may want to get a head start. I don't think I will get them mixed up because I won't be speaking any of the latter two, and hardly any French.
Sorry for the long post but I am just really excited!

Edited by FrenchSilkPie on 26 May 2008 at 5:45pm

FrenchSilkPie
United States
Joined 6560 days ago

125 posts - 130 votes 
Studies: French

Message 19 of 19
17 June 2008 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
As of today, I am on Lesson 6 (possibly ready to get to Lesson 7) of the Learnables German, and Lesson 4-5 with French. School has been taking most of my time, however, so I have had little time to study any language!

My parents think that I am going all over the place with my languages, so I have decided to focus on French and German. Russian/Spanish may have time over the summer, but I doubt it. I am studying French in school, but I really want to achieve a native accent and I cannot do that in French so I do not want to waste my time.

I need to find ways to increase my German input..I have FIA, French television, and French learnables..but only German learnables! I have been searching for children's television programs online since there aren't any on my TV.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version