Diglot
United States
Joined 6001 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 11
04 May 2008 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
I was sick part of last week and I haven't practiced as much as I would have liked. However, I have done a review of the sounds and I seem to be doing well on them alone. I've started learning some new vocabulary and I'm doing okay, but I do find that I'm making some pronunciation mistakes. For example pronouncing shi as though it is xi. Nothing that's not pretty understandable. I'll get it.
1 person has voted this message useful

CecileLeRose
Diglot
United States
Joined 6001 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
02 June 2008 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
I have nto posted in awhile, but I have been continuing my studies. Yesterday I talked to my boyfriend's mother for the first time. I said hello, asked how the weather was in Shanghai, and said goodbye. Its not much, but unfortuneately at this stage I know a lot more nouns than verbs and I can't say very much that is useful.

My boyfriend has been teaching me more stuff that I can use with him. (Things like "I love you", "dear", and also possession (I wanted to say "My Yong loves me.")) In the grand scheme of things it's not that useful, but I'm learning bits and pieces, it's stuff I can easily practice anytime I talk to him, He likes hearing it in his native language, and I also get practice using the few words I know to make different sentences. (Example: "I love you." "Do you love me?" "My Yong loves me.") I do learn about Chinese grammar in the process of making these sentences, and creating them on my own helps me cement meaning of words in my mind.

Also, I've started using Anki instead of gflash, because it shows the character and I have decided to learn those too. I'm not sure if I am going to stick with this program or not. While it does show the characters and has an online version I can access from my blackberry during lunch, I number of the words I'm learning will not display on my blackberry. It's awfully useless to get a flashcard with just a ? where the Hanzi is supposed to be. I need to see if there is a way I can put them in as images instead. I have not yet had time to try. Also I'm wondering if there is maybe something out there that is "three-sided". I want something that will present me with the Hanzi, then when I want the answer show me the pinyin, then I click show answer again and get the English. Of course I want to specify at each step if I got it right. Also I'd like it to be able to show me any of the three and ask for the others in any order. If anyone knows of anything please feel free to pass the information along.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5977 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 11 of 11
02 June 2008 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
You need a blog ^_^. It's interesting though.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version