Canada
Joined 6001 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 16
08 May 2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm behind.

Or rather, I never caught up. I should be at 450 today, instead, I am at 350. I may seem to be making a big deal about this, but I want to be done RtK by the middle of June. I am going to be able to do it, but I'm going to have to suck it up and devote all my free time to it for the next few days. Get ahead of it as much as I can, so if I do slack off a bit like I did before, I won't be lost. I am still studying while doing RtK, but when that's out of the way, I have so much more time to do other things.

My overall time with Japanese each day isn't where I would like it, but it's back up to something stable. Listening to Audio tapes in class. Japanese music playing near 24/7. Finally some progress into Lesson 15 of JFE (Near the end, now).

In total, I am doing about 2 hours every day of hard studying, and a bit more of passive. An improvement.

I am thinking of going about AJATT's method once I am done JFE, minus the *complete* immersion. The 10,000 sentences bit. Choosing sentences appropriate for my level will be a bit of a challenge, but if it will help me, I will do it. Anyone have any knowledge about this method?
1 person has voted this message useful

Triddz
Canada
Joined 6001 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 10 of 16
11 May 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm really not updating this thing enough.

Anyways, I decided not to kill myself attempting to make up for those 2 lost days. I'll stay 100 behind what I really should be, but it's not a huge deal. That means though, that I hit 500 today! 1/4 of the way there!

I like this RtK for one reason. It gets me involved with Japanese for a minimum of one hour a day. Even when I'm working 10 hours, scrambling to get homework done, and treating my mother like I am today, I'm still getting in a MINIMUM of one hour of something Japanese. I usually listen to Japanese music pretty often, as well, adding to it as something.

Anyways, I've decided to drop everything but RtK for now. I've hit the dreaded 'no stories' part of it, and I need to keep my pace of 50+ a day. It's going to be hard. Frustrating. Mentally taxing. I'm going to do it, and my Japanese will be all the better for it. 50-100 a day? Peice of cake. The funny thing is, all the way through RtK, I never thought I was using his stories, always making up my own. Now that I've got to the point where I don't have them, I'm completely lost.

Edited by Triddz on 11 May 2008 at 10:51pm

Mcjon01
United States
Joined 6251 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes

Message 11 of 16
12 May 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if you're using or know about Reviewing the Kanji, but the study section there is invaluable for the part of the book with no stories, since people share their personal stories, along with tips like pointing out when a group of primitives recurs in several kanji, even though Heisig failed to mention it. I don't personally use the SRS provided by the site, but there's no way I'd be able to keep up a 100+ a day pace without such a rich depository of ready-made images to spark my imagination.

Also, Heisig doesn't mention the concept until he introduces the "person" primitive, but actually personifying primitives in your story can be incredibly helpful, especially when the primitive is an abstract concept rather than a concrete object.

Edited by Mcjon01 on 12 May 2008 at 2:52pm

Triddz
Canada
Joined 6001 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 12 of 16
12 May 2008 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, without Reviewing the Kanji, I'd be crying in a corner right now. I use their SRS, simply because it gets the job done and I don't really have enough time to do it myself with Anki. I also do use the stories there. Whenever I can, I try to make up my own. But sometimes, I just can't see something, so I go check out what they have.

I did 25 more after posting that yesterday, so that brought me up to 525. Today, I'll do the same, hitting 600. The kanji I've been dreading to review came up today, so that hurt my esteem slightly. Where I usually get 90%+ on the reviews, I think I only got 73 today. Certain primitives kill me. In this case, it was the one for 'arrow' and it's variants.

Triddz
Canada
Joined 6001 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 13 of 16
14 May 2008 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I've discovered a serious problem with my review sessions.

I've been reviewing the expired Kanji too early in the day. Instead of doing them in my Block B class like I should, I'm doing them just after I wake up. The result? This morning, I got a 61% pass rate, where a few days ago I was getting 90%+ when I did it around noon.

I slacked off slightly, so I'll only be at 650 by the end of today. Not too happy, but not too upset either. I still think I'm going okay. My goal is to be done RtK by my birthday, June 11th. I'm writing it in bold here. If I fail, every one of you must e-punch me.

Now, I have a question for you all. Is there any story in North America that you guys know of that will either sell or import Japanese books? Ordering online is not an option for me, and I would really like to get my hands on the Haruhi novels. I can't read them yet, but that's not going to stop me.

I've just noticed, my outlook on this is getting better each day. Kinda neat. Two birds with one stone, I suppose.

Triddy
Canada
Joined 6144 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 14 of 16
16 May 2008 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Looks like I am on track. The number I do each day varies based on how I feel. If I am really feeling crappy, I go ahead and stop at 25. The next day though, I make sure I do a minimum of 75, so it averages out to at least 50 a day.

Last night, I hit 700. Not bad. My reviews had been dipping a bit (From 90% down to 60-70.) However, my latest review of 46 cards got me about 85%. Not good, but getting better. Looks like I will be able to get all of them done by my birthday, no problem.

Also, I still want a place to buy Japanese books. I'll expand my search to online, as I now have my parents permission, but I need to know of a place that will ship to Canada with relatively cheap shipping costs. Don't really feel like paying $30 shipping on a $4 book. I have the... not so legal versions of the first 8 Haruhi novels on my computer, but I want to have real copies.

Mcjon01
United States
Joined 6251 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes

Message 15 of 16
16 May 2008 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Well, since you can shop online now, I can recommend the Sasuga Japanese Bookstore. It's where I go for all my Japanese book needs that aren't hideously obscure (when you're shopping for Japanese translations of books by Ray Kurzweil, you pretty much have to use Amazon...). I think there might be a bit of overhead on the cost of the books compared to what they cost in Japan, but the fact that shipping is only 3 or 4 dollars more than makes up for it.

Triddz
Canada
Joined 6001 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 16 of 16
18 May 2008 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestion. When I get closer to the end of RtK, I'll look into it.

I no longer know if I will hit my goal of finishing by June 11th. I am currently at 850, or will be soon. However, I have acheieved somewhat of a personal growth in this. I have hit a level of dedication I didn't know possible for me. It's 37*C in here. I have a headache to split boulders. I am sleep-deprived, sore from work, and yet here I am, studying Kanji.

I like it.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version