Diglot
Germany
Joined 6055 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 1 of 10
29 April 2008 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Well, just as I had decided to get serious about studying French, I saw the "Total Annihilation Challenge" thread and thought that this is exactly what I need.

My main focus is going to be French in the beginning, and come autumn I'm going to add Latin. (I'm also studying Japanese, but I won't inculde it in this challenge, since I really want to focus on French and Latin for now.)

Previous Knowledge:
I do have some previous knowlegde of French, seeing how I "learnt" French in High School,
but my active skills go no further than "Je m'appelle Jana." and "J'ai 22 ans." and my passive skills are hardly better. So for all intents and purposes I'm a total beginner.

I did an introductory Latin course at university last year, from which I hardly remember anything.

Goals:
By 1. 1. 2009 I want to reach basic fluency in French. I also want to have worked through "Lingua Latina per se illustrata: Pars 1" and thus have advanced far enough to be able to start on and understand "Lingua Latina per se illustrata: Pars 2".

I decided to go through Pimsleur French I & II in order to master Pronunciation, watch the 51 Episodes of French in Action and do a Scriptorium for some of the FIA dialogues. (I already listened to the first 2 Pimsleur lessons and watched 7 FIA videos.)
Once I'm through with that, I'll decide how to best continue. Any tips are, of course, appreciated.
Edit: I decided to add some Listening-Reading to the mix, starting with "Around the World in 80 days" in French.

Official Start Date is the 1st of May, but since I'm hardly going to be idle until Thursday I'll use the interim as a sort of warm-up to hopefully discover a routine that works well for me.

Good Luck to everyone else who participates!

Edited by Fujiwara on 02 May 2008 at 4:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fujiwara
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6055 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 2 of 10
29 April 2008 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
April 29th, TAC Warm-Up:
Today I went through Pimsleur episodes 3 to 5. Study time: 1.5 hours.

I had hoped to get more done today, but I'm not entirely unhappy. I'll just have to up the ante once the Total Annihilation Challenge officially kicks off ...

Fujiwara
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6055 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 3 of 10
01 May 2008 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
April 30th, TAC Warm-Up:
I listened to Episode 6 of Pimsleur French.

By now it's already May the 1st, which means that the Total Annihilation Challenge has officially begun. Personally, I want to try to cram as much language study time into each day as possible. It should be at least 30 minutes a day, but I'd prefer something closer to 3 hours, which ought to be possible. Well, I'll tell you how it goes ...

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6094 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 10
01 May 2008 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Best of Luck. We're in a similar position on the exact same language. I take it that French in school was the same disaster for you, as it was for me ?

Fujiwara
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6055 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 5 of 10
02 May 2008 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
@DaraghM:
Thank you. Good Luck to you as well. French in School was indeed pretty bad. But then again, so was English. Whenever someone in Germany becomes proficient in one if those languages, it's surely not because they learned it in school. :-) Luckily, there's places like this, which actually help you in your language learning quest.
By the way, I actually had the same problem as you with FSI French. After reading all these great reviews about FSI here, I was quite disappointed.

Well, on to business ...

May 1st, The TAC begins
I have found that I can't possibly sit through more than 30 minutes of Pimsleur or FIA, because it is quite passive and I become restless very quickly. Since I've always loved reading, I've decided to give Listening-Reading a try, in the hope that it'll better suit my tastes. So I listened to Episode 7 of Pimsleur French and did 2 hours of Listening-Reading with Jules Verne's "Le tour du monde en quatre-vingt jours".
Study Time Today: 2.5h
Total Study Time: 2.5h

Fujiwara
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6055 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 6 of 10
03 May 2008 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
May 2nd
I managed 4 hours of Listening-Reading, which didn't seem exhausting at all. :-)
Study Time Today: 4h
Total Study Time: 6.5h

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6259 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 7 of 10
03 May 2008 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Fujiwara wrote:
By 1. 1. 2009 I want to reach basic fluency in French.

This is what I'm hoping to acheive as well. Won't be easy, but it's definitely possible. Hopefully procrastination isn't as big a problem for you as it is for me...

Viel Glück mit deinem Ziel!

Edited by Fränzi on 03 May 2008 at 2:42am

Fujiwara
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6055 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 8 of 10
04 May 2008 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
@Fränzi: Thanks a lot. To you as well. :-)

May 3rd
Today I listened to Pimsleur Episode 8 and did 2 hours of Listening-Reading.
Study Time Today: 2.5h
Total Study Time: 9h

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version