tryllid
Groupie
United States
Joined 5996 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 3
03 May 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
To further tie myself to this goal, I'm going to post my progress daily.

I am trying in an ad hoc fashion to use the JapaneseAllTheTime approach to learning Japanese. I've been:
- Listening to FNN: http://www.fnn-news.com/
- Listening to music (listening to Rip Slyme, whatever I can glean off youtube, the internet, etc)
- Listening to anime
- Listening to Japanese movies
- Listening to Japanese Drama (although this has been more entertaining than truly educational).
- Internet radio and podcasts

I've been learning
- Hiragana, Katakana from Easy Kana Workbook. There are a ton of practice worksheets in this book that I like.
- Kanji from RTK. I like this approach. My only concern is that some of his primary meanings don't line up with my kanji dictionary (and I'm hearing from others that this occurs frequently).
So far I'm up to 194. I'm using the Reviewing the Kanji online tool: http://kanji.koohii.com/
and Mnemosyne to burn the characters, sentences and vocab into my memory.

- Learning Grammar from:
* An Innovative approach to Speaking and Reading Japanese
* Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication
* An online site Nihongo o Narau: http://www.learn-japanese.info/indexg.html
* Japanesepod101 - their podcasts have helped my listening and understanding of grammar
* Japancast podcast

I like dictionaries and I found a nifty looking (don't know how useful yet) dictionary for Kanji: The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary. They have a SKIP method for looking up the kanji which seems to work. I'm trying to limit my cost here (as I was recently laid off and I'm looking for a job in Project Management) - so I'd like to avoid purchasing an electronic dictionary.

Progress so far:
- Thanks to all the listening I can hear words, but not know what they mean yet %)
- Since my main goal is to be able to read - I've started to read a children's book - which since I'm still learning katakana (lol) I can't share the title with you - but I think it's about a little girl named Sakura Momoko.

Questions:
-Does anyone have any music recommendations? I like virtually all kind of music except sappy love songs
-Any first reader recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Tryllid.

Edited by tryllid on 03 May 2008 at 9:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

tryllid
Groupie
United States
Joined 5996 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 

Message 2 of 3
04 May 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday was a wash. I reviewed kanji in Chapter 10 and discovered that when I'm sleepy, I'm not very effective in remembering them. So essentially I lost a day.

cool words for me today
カギバリアミ 
アミモノ
ボ-シ

We'll see how it goes today.

Tryllid.

tryllid
Groupie
United States
Joined 5996 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 

Message 3 of 3
16 May 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Still making my way through the kanji. Now up to 395. I've discovered that if i don't create a vivid story, or tie it back to a memory, the kanji don't stay with me.

I've established a process for memorizing:
- Review/ Create stories in Reviewing the Kanji
- Practice / Review what I learned yesterday - until we get all the cards to four or more reviews
- Review Mnenosyne cards through the daily list - then go through the chapter I just learned
- Every week - go through some if not all of the cards I've learned.

If I don't do the Mnemosyne - I don't remember most of the cards. The second iteration in a different format seems to help.

>Listening
Still listening to any and all forms of streaming Japanese
1. (Saw Hero J-Drama - highly recommend this) and started Galileo
2. Listen to music
3. Found QVC in Japanese! Other sites at: http://mediahopper.com/. Some are music videos sites

Tryllid.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version