ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 6
06 May 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
This is to chronicle my attempt to build my Korean vocabulary using Iversen's wordlist method, I have a secondary goal of working on my handwriting and spelling so I intend to start using a frequency list from the beginning covering words I already know as well as those I wish to learn.

I'm exporting the wordlists from Declan's Korean Flashcards to work through ( around 3000 words I believe ) and if this goes well will use the lists in the vocabulearn products also, though I will not do already known words from these. Both products have audio should I be unsure of pronunciation and that is why i am using them.

I may decide to import the lists into Anki ( an SRS app ) once I have learned them but I'm undecided on whether to do this or not at this stage.

My first impressions are that using wordlists 5 in size seems nice for me and although I am covering known words my spelling, if not my handwriting, is already I think seeing benefit.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6621 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 2 of 6
06 May 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
This is interesting, I am also going to start working with his method (or kind of, anyway), and I will have to keep an eye on how you think it is working! Mine will be for Icelandic, while I continue with flashcards for Russian.

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 

Message 3 of 6
07 May 2008 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Well it didnt take me long to decide on the SRS, I am going to import the original lists into Anki once I have initially learned them with Iversen's method, I think I will definitely need some kind of review and this fits the bill pretty well for me so I'm effectively using a learning list to learn and SRS for review.

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 

Message 4 of 6
12 May 2008 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
This hasnt really been working very well for me, I think I need more repetition to learn each word and I find that easier to achieve with paper flashcards progressing once a word is learnt to an SRS entry. The exercise has been useful to me though because one thing i have picked up on from trying this out is the importance of being able to translate the English equivalent into the Korean word with correct spelling, once i can do that it seems i have a good shot at remembering the word concerned so I only add words to the SRS once I can spell them from memory now.

I would love to be using mnemomics but I seem to lack the sheer creativity needed to come up with useful imagery etc where the word sounds are so alien. maybe that is something for me to work on.

Edited by ChrisWebb on 12 May 2008 at 4:18am

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6621 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 5 of 6
12 May 2008 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
How many times do you repeat the words? I write them down on a printed paper with four columns, and then I cover the target language column and write them on another paper (7 at a time) until I cn write them all without problem.

Sometimes I just keep folding the same paper, writing in my language - target language - my language - target language, etc. But I keep the original paper with columns proper and nice :)

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 

Message 6 of 6
12 May 2008 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
When I was using the method i'd find i could usually reproduce them after only 3 or 4 attempts, the problem was that I'd forget half or more of the new words as rapidly as they were learned. I'd come to do a follow up review the next day and would not even have passive recognition of a large proportion of the words.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version