Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 6071 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 1 of 7
12 June 2008 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
I thought about my problems with shadowing and decided to give it a go again.
So, I cut the beginning of the audiobook I want to shadow in several parts of 20 sec-1 min 30 and put them on my Ipod. I've got loudspeakers for my mp3 player so I just started playing the little file in "replay" mode.
I read some advice on this website and decided I'd shadow twice a day for 15 minutes, everyday. I find that a good thumb rule for shadowing is to repeat every extract 20-30 times. Sometimes, I'm still not fluent even after 30 repetitions, but I'm so tired of the recording that it isn't effective any more anyway.
I shadowed for 30 minutes yesterday, and I already shadowed for 15 minutes today.
I really don't know when such a method starts to prove useful, but I'll start to worry about that when I've put around 20 hours into it.

As for the vocabulary, I've only learnt a word so far today, but once I'm finished with shadowing, I'll look for new vocabulary. I'd like to be able to learn 20 words a day but this is most likely a pipe dream, since I'm not even able to learn a word a day.

Goals:

• 1H18 of shadowing a day
  • learn 5-20+ words a day
  • listening to material in English for 5 hours minimum, that includes my hour of shadowing and passive listening

Edited by fairyfountain on 14 June 2008 at 5:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

Gil
Diglot
Afghanistan
Joined 6336 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
3 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Esperanto

Message 2 of 7
12 June 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
Have you tried an SRS for learning vocabulary? I can learn more than twenty words a day. I read a passage and underline unknown words, then I enter those words into Mnemosyne, after some days I reread the passage. This is my main method for learning vocabulary, but complementary to this I’m “scanning” through a pocket dictionary for unknown words, I usually find from one to three per page, these I also enter into Mnemosyne.

As to shadowing, it is funny that I began to do the same as you last week.

fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 6071 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 3 of 7
12 June 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
I've always been cross with SRS programs. I find them unfriendly and complicated, and I always end up throwing the baby out with the bath water. I tried to make lists on Word but including the phonetics took me ages and I was not up for the job.
I'm quite obsessed with adding phonetics for obvious reasons and this impedes me when it comes to learning vocabulary. I still have to find the best method.

Gil
Diglot
Afghanistan
Joined 6336 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
3 sounds

Message 4 of 7
12 June 2008 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
I also include the phonetic transcription of the word in my Mnemosyne items.

fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 6071 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 5 of 7
12 June 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Well, you are really brave. I'm way too lazy to do that! I'm going to shadow for 15 minutes.

Gil
Diglot
Afghanistan
Joined 6336 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
3 sounds

Message 6 of 7
12 June 2008 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Well, I wouldn't need the phonetics for every word, just for those preposterous examples of English orthography, like colonel, for instance.

fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 6071 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 7 of 7
12 June 2008 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
The thing is, I do need the phonetics for every word.
I have just finished my second shadowing session and surprisingly enough, even if the extract was longer than the ones I have worked on since I started using this method again, I found it way easier than the previous ones.
In fact, I only had to go through it for 17 minutes, which makes around 15 repetitions.
I'm still sceptic but something tells me that if I notice some improvement after only 1 hour of shadowing, it's worth the trip.

Edited by fairyfountain on 12 June 2008 at 8:49am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version