Joined 6634 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 33 of 103
21 July 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
   The French accent turned me off (I don't want to develop a French pronunciation).

I thought they would try to use a neutral Latin accent like classical or Ecclesiastical. Thanks for telling me it is a French accent.
1 person has voted this message useful

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 34 of 103
23 July 2007 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
-Pronunciation problems with reading-

To a large degree, I can read in Latin. Thankfully, all my audio content enables me to easily learn the pronunciation for all sorts of words. My problem, however, is that I'm coming across different pronunciations of the same words. It's quite difficult for me to read at times, and for this reason, I need to spend a lot more time listening to Church Latin, so as to prevent myself from mixing both (though I suppose that's not really a bad thing, but it can be confusing when reading).

Until I came to think forum, I never thought of reading while listening at the same time. It's perhaps the easiest way for me to learn to read in a new language. It's almost like cheating compared to the way I used to learn to read in other languages. ;)

My friend recorded himself reading the first chapter of Mark's gospel. Fortunately, this has drastically helped me to learn the ecclesiastical pronunciation. It's certainly far better than trying to figure it out based on reading a textbook :)

Hopefully, by the time, I listen to enough audio material, I'll have learned to read quite fluently.

-Latinum, yet again-

I've decided to pull the plug on Latinum. It's good for listening, but not so much for speaking it seems. I tend to get frustrated with that. I may perhaps pick it back up again at a later time, but the content just doesn't really do it for me. I will rely on bilingual texts and audio.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 35 of 103
23 July 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
-Classical and Vulgar Latin-

It's clear to me that I most certainly need to learn Classical Latin. I wish I didn't, since I'm primarily interested in Ecclesiastical Latin, but I won't be able to know the differences between them without learning both of them.

I suppose it's like learning modern English as opposed to King James English. They are both comprehensible, but certainly different. So, using Catholic literature as a primary source may not necessarily be the best idea for my purposes. Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

I purchased a copy of Harrius Potter and Regulus, but it will take several weeks before they arrive. In the meantime, I'll have to work with what I've got.

-Mnemosyne-

After reading this page, I've decided to take advantage of Mnemosyne. It is quite useful for all my languages :)

Edited by JasonChoi on 23 July 2007 at 10:38am

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6634 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds

Message 36 of 103
23 July 2007 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Have you been able to figure out which of your Latin courses are using Classic Latin and Ecclesiastical Latin?

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 37 of 103
23 July 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Every textbook I use is Classical. The only one that isn't is John Collins book "A Primer for Ecclesiastical Latin" which I'm using for reference. :)

All the religious texts are obviously not classical ;)

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6634 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds

Message 38 of 103
24 July 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Have you found any good Latin radio sites? I heard of one, but supposely they use a Finnish accent when they speak Latin.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 39 of 103
25 July 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
The page is here:

http://www.yleradio1.fi/nuntii/

Unfortunately, I can't understand much of it, and I don't know if it has a transcript or even a translation in English. Plus, it's a bit difficult to navigate.

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6329 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 40 of 103
25 July 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
The page is here:

http://www.yleradio1.fi/nuntii/

Unfortunately, I can't understand much of it, and I don't know if it has a
transcript or even a translation in English. Plus, it's a bit difficult to
navigate.

This sounds more like Finnish to me unless I strain my ears to pick out the
words... Kinda proves my earlier point that any attempts to speak this
language are... well, highly unnatural.

This discussion contains 103 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version