Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 57 of 103
07 August 2007 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:
furyou_gaijin wrote:

And what purpose is served by opposing these two completely unrelated
quotes, pray tell?!

Why are you so angered by that quote from Ardaschir? You said that speaking Latin is a pointless activity. I quoted a post from Ardaschir that defends Latin in today's world. I respect your views about Latin. I was just quoting how one person feels about Latin's importance.

But furyou_gaijin was talking about speaking, as in words coming out of your mouth, not speaking in the sense of knowing the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 58 of 103
08 August 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Nunc Loquamur and unit 1 of the Cambridge Latin course came in a week ago. Both are quite good. The first book is something like a supplementary conversation text, and it's one of the first things I wanted to get my hands on. It has short dialogs on the most basic expressions (how are you, what time is it, you have the wrong number, how much is this).

The Cambridge Latin Course textbook not only teaches Latin, it goes into Roman culture, which provides a wider context for my language learning. I think this is the first time I actually decided to READ a textbook for fun. This would've never happened to me in school, but for some reason, I enjoy reading this textbook. ;)

-Latin audio-

A friend of mine recorded the entire Tridentine Mass text in Latin, as well as all of Mark's gospel.

Listening to them over and over can seem a bit boring at times, but it's helpful. I've noticed that listening to longer chunks of material seems to be more effective than repeating shorter chunks. In other words, I prefer listening to several chapters of Mark's gospel, rather than repeating chapter 1 several times. Interestingly, I've listened to the first chapter so many times, that I know what it's saying even though I don't fully understand all the grammar or the vocabulary. I'm particularly using the Listening-Reading audio book approach with bilingual texts.

Unfortunately, I've been quite busy that I haven't had a lot time to really concentrate on my learning.

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6634 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 59 of 103
08 August 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
burntgorilla wrote:

But furyou_gaijin was talking about speaking, as in words coming out of your mouth, not speaking in the sense of knowing the language.

furyou_gaijin, now I see why you said those two quotes were unrelated. I interpreted your post a different way.

furyou_gaijin wrote:

Hm... My original question is still not answered. Never mind, though.

I did answer it
LilleOSC wrote:
I was just quoting how one person feels about Latin's importance.
, but now I realize that those quotes were unrelated.

JasonChoi, what courses have you kept using? Are there other courses besides the podcast one that you stopped using? Also you could try using Wikipedia in Latin to practice your Latin reading ability:

http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagina_prima

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 60 of 103
09 August 2007 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
I haven't used any particular texts in the past week. I have to admit, I do see some value in using the podcasts, but it'll require that I edit out all the English, which I don't mind doing. I just don't have time right now.

My biggest problem is that I get bored with reviewing material too often. I suspect this is partly why listening to some of the Latinum podcasts over and over seemed a bit tedious.

I may consider getting back into Latinum since much of the phrases are useful (it's good to hear the differences of declensions spoken aloud), but for now, I'm focusing on Nunc Loquamur for basic conversations, and I'm listening to my mp3s of the Tridentine Mass and Mark's gospel to improve my pronunciation/reading.

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6634 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 61 of 103
09 August 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Are the mp3s of the Tridentine Mass and Mark's gospel from a website, course, or did you get your friend to record them?

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6591 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 

Message 62 of 103
09 August 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by tmesis on 17 February 2008 at 2:05pm

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6329 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 63 of 103
09 August 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:
furyou_gaijin, now I see why you said those two quotes were unrelated. I interpreted your post a different way.

but now I realize that those quotes were unrelated

Ok, this clarifies. I am not the one to dispute the general usefulness of Latin. Having spent the last 3 days in the Republic of Moldova, I have survived mostly by relying on picking out the Latin roots and the context... Suprising how far it can actually get one.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 64 of 103
09 August 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:
Are the mp3s of the Tridentine Mass and Mark's gospel from a website, course, or did you get your friend to record them?

I've already explained this in my previous update. My friend recorded them.

This discussion contains 103 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version