United States
Joined 6404 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 9 of 52
01 February 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Last night I listened to the Bible in French for about an hour, and read along with my English translation.

1 person has voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6593 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 10 of 52
01 February 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
vanityx3 wrote:
Last night I listened to the Bible in French for about an hour, and read along with my English translation.

I'm doing the same thing with a modern Turkish translation of the Bible. It helps a lot, doesn't it? And if you start to know the books pretty well in English, you can just find another translation and audio for another language.

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds

Message 11 of 52
01 February 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
apparition wrote:
vanityx3 wrote:

I'm doing the same thing with a modern Turkish translation of the Bible. It helps a lot, doesn't it? And if you start to know the books pretty well in English, you can just find another translation and audio for another language.

Yes, It does help. I do wish I had a more modern French translation, but it's not oudated language or anything, it just replaces the conditional with the subjunctive all the time. I guess it give me subjunctive practice so that is good.

------
The speed at which people seem to talk French has went down a lot. It doesn't seem that fast anymore, except for certain accents. (Southern France, I think)

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds

Message 12 of 52
05 February 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
I started reading my favorite Japrisot novel, Un long dimanche de fiançailles, yesterday. I've had the English translation since Christmas and loved it, so I bought the French translation and am starting to read through it, looking at the English translation when I come to any tricky spots.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 13 of 52
05 February 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Hi Vanityx3,

I'm just curious to know: How effective has the Listening-Reading method been thus far?

Also, how is it that you're able to listen/read for such a long time without your attention wavering?

-Jason

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds

Message 14 of 52
06 February 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
Hi Vanityx3,

I'm just curious to know: How effective has the Listening-Reading method been thus far?

Also, how is it that you're able to listen/read for such a long time without your attention wavering?

-Jason

The L-R method seems to really help a lot. It has helped me to understand much more Spoken French than I was able to before. Part of this is I can rcognize cognates much more easily than I was before and also I think it helps when you hear the same types of verbs over and over again (the really common ones), it kind of gets struck in your head.

To stay focused for such a long time I think comfort is the biggest thing, you have to be comfortable and not have any outside distractions making you lose focus. Also it helps if you can get in a mindset, that your just going to pass the time reading a good novel, instead of thinking about it as work or something like that. Lastly it is essential in my opinion to have a novel that you absolutely love, because no one wants to read something boring.

I started off listening for really long times (3-4 hours) but lately I've found it easier to do shorter times of 1 hour or so, but to do it more than once in the day.

---
Yesterday I went through the First chapter of the Japrisot novel again. I've realized this is a very effective method to learn vocabulary (in context) if you have a translation into your native language, much easier than a dictionary, and for me the new vocab seems to stick much more easier; I forget less words

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds

Message 15 of 52
08 February 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Today I had a great opportunity of communicating with a class of french students using satelite video. I was with a group of people as well. The best thing about the expierience was I was nervous at first but once I realized I understood things, I was fine and asked some questions. It was fun. The communication took place in both English and French, since they were learning English and wanted to practice like we did. I did mess up once, but I noticed my mistake and then didn't understand why I made it.
I said Qu'est-ce que c'est....? when I actually meant Quel est....?
And once they they thought I said acteur when I actually said auteur. SO I had to claffify by saying auteur des romans.

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds

Message 16 of 52
12 February 2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
I've been using a different method lately and I seem to be having sucess with it. I've been using it with Un coeur simple, and Un long dimanche de fiançailles.

My method is reading in French until I come to a word or sentence I don't understand. Then I quickly go to the same place in my English translation to understand the particular tricky word or sentence. After I finish, I re-read the same chapter and repeat the process, this time having to look up fewer words. I repeat the process a third and final time, this time hardly having to look up any words. Then I move on in the story.

It seems for me to be a very effective method and much faster than using a dictionary and also I retain more words than with a dictionary. I like the method because I'm learning all new words in the context of an actual sentence.

For the moment though I'm still expierimenting on how many paragraphs is a good number to read and go through any translations, before I repeat the process. I guess it depends on the amount of words I have to look up.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version