brian00321
United States
Joined 6541 days ago

143 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 9 of 16
19 March 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Shadowed, again, whatever I could in chapters 4 and 5. Kind of busy to start on chapter 6 today. I did take out the audio from Kebab Connection and Good Bye Lenin! from my DVDs and converted it to mp3. That way I can listen to the movies on my iPod and pick up some colloquial speech whenever I'm out and about.

Plus the movies have nice little music and scores to keep me interested. I'm not saying that the Harry Potter audiobooks aren't interesting, as a matter of fact I love 'em, but I just wanted a change of pace for once. Something that makes the language feel a bit more alive to me.
1 person has voted this message useful

brian00321
United States
Joined 6541 days ago

143 posts - 148 votes 

Message 10 of 16
09 April 2008 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Haven't posted here in weeks, but I've been shadowing the first 9 chapters of Halbblutprinz with whatever dead-time lying around. I've also got around to shadowing and doing scriptorium with Assimil's German course. My speaking level still feels like it belongs in the beginner's category, but hopefully that'll only come with time. Most of it is due to laziness on my part.

As for reading, I feel like LR has pushed me to a good intermediate level. Grammar flows naturally and easily. So I just need more text in L2 to boost it up a bit.

On a side note, I've been having a little wanderlust lately and feel like LR-ing Italian, Polish, or Japanese. Languages I've never looked at before (except for Japanese, had a brief stint with Genki, Heisig, and Jordan's). More likely than not, I'll probably use Harry Potter again (100 more stupifying hours with Harry and co.) for whichever one I choose

I experimented with Italian for a bit and it seems easy. But Japanese and Polish? I'm kind of skeptical about using LR for languages that have nothing resembling English, but I am willing to give it a shot. If anyone has input and experience on this that'd be great. I just wanna' know what it's like before I go swimming without my floaties on.

Edited by brian00321 on 10 April 2008 at 5:13am

BGreco
Joined 6336 days ago

211 posts - 222 votes 
3 sounds
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 11 of 16
09 April 2008 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
What was your level of German when you started?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 16
10 April 2008 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
brian00321 wrote:
Haven't posted here in weeks, but I've been shadowing the first 9 chapters of Halbblutprinz with whatever dead-time lying around. I've also got around to shadowing and doing scriptorium with Assimil's German course. My speaking level still feels like it belongs in the beginner's category, but hopefully that'll only come with time. Most of isn't there due to laziness on my part.

As for reading, I feel like LR has pushed me to a good intermediate level. Grammar flows naturally and easily. So I just need more text in L2 to boost it up a bit.

On a side note, I've been having a little wanderlust lately and feel like LR-ing Italian, Polish, or Japanese. Languages I've never looked at before (except for Japanese, had a brief stint with Genki, Heisig, and Jordan's). More likely that not, I'll probably use Harry Potter again (100 more stupifying hours with Harry and co.) for whichever one I choose

I experimented with Italian for a bit and it seems easy. But Japanese and Polish? I'm kind of skeptical about using LR for languages that have nothing resembling English, but I am willing to give it a shot. If anyone has input and experience on this that'd be great. I just wanna' know what it's like before I go swimming without my floaties on.

Polish comes more slowly than German does, but I've found L-R with it to be quite effective.

brian00321
United States
Joined 6541 days ago

143 posts - 148 votes 

Message 13 of 16
10 April 2008 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
BGreco wrote:
What was your level of German when you started?

A couple Pimsleur and Assimil lessons. In other words, not that much. If you wanna' check a journal of someone in the middle of LR, look at blindsheep's. He's starting (almost) from scratch and his results highly resemble mine when I first completed 3 sweeps of HP1.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 6091 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 14 of 16
03 May 2008 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
May I know if you did any preliminary study of German grammar, the inflexions for example? Or did you do it completely "raw"? So far everyone reporting on L-R has reported either studying the language before, or at least reading some grammar guides or preparing charts, I'm curious to know whether anyone has done it without this sort of thing.

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6023 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 15 of 16
03 May 2008 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Hmmmm, your results are interesting, almost inspiring enough to start myself, if not!

If you did this in conjunction with something else that taught you to make complex scentences, i think you'd be on to a winner. Maybe something like Michel Thomas.

I have real difficulty understanding spoken language, that is my weakness in language, with understanding written texts coming closely behind, i may start L-R.

As you said, the downsde is you dont learn to speak, but, if this helps my understanding of the language, that would be brilliant.

What is your current method?

TEL

tjw
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6082 days ago

53 posts - 55 votes 
Studies: German, French, Persian

Message 16 of 16
12 May 2008 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Very interesting stuff.
At the moment are you reading the text in English whilst listening to the German for a few times? Or did you do that only when you first started?

Edited by tjw on 12 May 2008 at 6:59am

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version