Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 25 of 39
03 May 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Day 3:

I did a bit over 2 hours of L-R, and several hours of Polish music. I also listened to a small amount of Spanish, Dutch, German, and Persian music while working out.

Oddities of the day:
- I woke up thinking in fluent French. That was greatly unexpected. (I'm leaving it as 'beginner' in my profile though). Combined with my recent Italian posts in the Multilingual Lounge having some French-isms, it seems this language is more live in my head than I realized.

- The L-R is paying off; I'm understanding a lot more of Polish music, though still a minority of what I hear. I'm picking out a line or two at a time moderately often, and about a word per line in quite a few other songs.

1 person has voted this message useful

Flagg
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 39
03 May 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I have a few questions about L-R, if you don't mind my asking them.

I read from the "creator" of the method (her name escapes me) that it needs to be done extensively to be of any value. Would it benefit me at all more than simply listening to the radio if I were to only L-R for an hour or two a day?

Also, I would really like getting my hands on both a Russian copy of the LOTR trilogy and the audio. But it seems as though no one has a set! I only ask this because you managed to find a Polish copy. Where can I find it? I checked on many sites, including Amazon, but there were only sets of The Hobbit.

One last question: should I finish Pimsleur before I start, or would I benefit from doing it sooner? I feel as though I already have a "feel" for the language, meaning I think I know enough to tell words apart and I can hear/spell well enough to maybe look a few of the words up.

And your thread is looking much cleaner! (:

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6187 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 27 of 39
03 May 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Flagg wrote:
And your thread is looking much cleaner! (:

It is, isn't it, spring-cleaning has blown all the inconsequential fluff away.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 28 of 39
03 May 2008 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Flagg wrote:
I have a few questions about L-R, if you don't mind my asking them.

I read from the "creator" of the method (her name escapes me) that it needs to be done extensively to be of any value. Would it benefit me at all more than simply listening to the radio if I were to only L-R for an hour or two a day?

No problem, and, slightly belatedly, welcome to the forum. The person you're referring to has many names, including 'atamagaii', which is the one I usually call him/her, as I can spell it, unlike some of the alternatives.

Doing L-R intensively is definitely more valuable than doing it 'only' an hour or two a day. At anything above about half an hour at a time, I'd say it's insanely more effective than listening to the radio. Going through one Roald Dahl book in Dutch (about 3-4 hours) may have taught me more than several months of listening to Dutch radio online, after already having a basic reading knowledge of Dutch.

I frankly can't think of a single stage of learning where listening to the radio is more effective. The only thing I can think of that a radio station may be better for is picking up more modern and colloquial, less literary language.

Flagg wrote:

Also, I would really like getting my hands on both a Russian copy of the LOTR trilogy and the audio. But it seems as though no one has a set! I only ask this because you managed to find a Polish copy. Where can I find it? I checked on many sites, including Amazon, but there were only sets of The Hobbit.

I'll see if I can find anything.

Flagg wrote:

One last question: should I finish Pimsleur before I start, or would I benefit from doing it sooner? I feel as though I already have a "feel" for the language, meaning I think I know enough to tell words apart and I can hear/spell well enough to maybe look a few of the words up.

You could do it before finishing Pimsleur; either option should be ok. The more you already know, the 'easier' L-R is to begin with. Easier isn't exactly the right word - less disorienting is closer, perhaps. At different stages in learning, I find I automatically zoom in on different parts of the language; doing L-R with languages I already understand moderately well is fairly different from doing it from a really new one from the beginning, but also quite similar.

For looking words up, it's extremely useful to spend a little time reading in the target language while listening to it ('step 2' in atamagaii's original post, prior to 'step 3', the core of L-R).

A rough guide to the stages:
0) Knowing nothing: guided by cognates and intonation, I map clauses to each other.
1) Picking out more words and structures.
2) Being able to map words almost entirely between the two languages when they correspond, and sometimes knowing the mapping (ie, how to literally translate one into the other, and possibly whether it makes sense to do so) when they don't.
3) At this point, it becomes more a matter of noticing structure, nuance, phrasing, detail, etc.

Edited by Volte on 03 May 2008 at 5:16pm

Flagg
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 29 of 39
03 May 2008 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
I appreciate your help, and thanks for the welcome! I'm thinking I'll finish the first unit in Pimsleur before I start with L-R, just so I get a better grasp of things. Putting off the "hard" work for another week or so may actually speed things up in the long run. I don't want to let my eagerness cause me to waste my time.

If you could find the audio, that would be really great. And thanks to the ever-so-helpful Serpent, I've got what appears to be all three of the books!

I hate to be a bother , but I've got one more question. Where can I listen to a radio station in Russian? I know of a few blogs and such, but a real, live talk show would be awesome.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 30 of 39
03 May 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Flagg wrote:

I hate to be a bother , but I've got one more question. Where can I listen to a radio station in Russian? I know of a few blogs and such, but a real, live talk show would be awesome.

You're not being a bother. Google for 'Russian online radio' without quotes, and you'll find a ton of sites. I can't give specific recommendations, as I'm trying to minimize contact with Russian until my Polish is decent.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 31 of 39
04 May 2008 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Day 4:
About 45 minutes of L-R, and several hours of music.
Wanderlust kicked in with a vengeance. I won the fight to not listen to Basque music, but ended up coding and looking at Breton morphology instead, a questionable gain.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6621 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 32 of 39
05 May 2008 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Hello there!

You seem to be *the* person to ask questions when it comes to L-R:ing. Have you written about your experiments with it somewhere, or if you haven't could you? It would be a great thing to link to the HTLAL Wiki.

Personally, I never really understand how I should go about it. My Russian is surely not what it should be, and I can't just listen and read and understand anything. Let's say I take The little prince (it happens to be one of the few materials I have in Russian), which is not very difficult. Should I read the whole thing through in French first, and then in Russian, and then listen to it, or do it in sections? I've read the post of the author with the very tricky name at least three times, but something keeps blocking me from actually understanding what I should do.

How much do you understand when you do it? Some information, or directions to information (in case you have just written about it somewhere else) would be very very very appreciated.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version