Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 6091 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 1 of 2
30 April 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
My goals for the remainder of the year:
-Be fluent enough in spoken and written Mandarin to talk about science, religion and history. (Mainly I'm lacking in active vocabulary and confidence)
-Same as above in Japanese
-Be able to read in Japanese without referring to dictionaries for kanji readings in a given novel, particularly historical, fantasy or science-fiction, which use more kanji AFAIK. (No dictionaries AT ALL)
-Read Homeric Greek with the aid of a dictionary or parallel text
-Read Classical Latin with minimal reference to a dictionary. (At most 2-3 per page)

My "it'd be nice if I could do this too" list includes:
-Passable German to read topics of a general nature.
(There is a school trip to Germany in August that I'm interested in, so I guess knowing a bit of German could come in useful; I'd also like to read Mozart's Letters, Hermann Hesse in the original; according to Wikipedia, German also seems to be the language with the most translations being conducted through, both into it and out of it, so it could be useful for a listenin-reading base language as well)
-Enough French to read Casanova's memoirs, Rousseau, Camus and Marcel Proust in the original. My interests follow that order.
-Polish to read "Wiedzmin" and Henryk Sienkiewicz (Quo Vadis and Krzyżacy in particular).

Some of these secondary goals might replace my primary ones if I feel bored at the pursuit of those.

I'll be reading Mandarin translations of Anna Karenina and a Japanese novel for these 2 weeks. I haven't read anything in Mandarin for quite a long time; my slow reading pace realative to English or even Japanese quite discourages me, but I'll know I'll get faster with more reading.

I'm aiming for a minimum of 32 pages a day in Mandarin, I believe I can surpass this number quite easily, but I shall just put it to ensure I'll do it even on days when school ends at 2030.

After that, I shall tentatively read through Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata at a minimum of 1 lesson a day until I complete both volumes. Then I'll proceed on to Regulus (The Little Prince) and Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis, and on to some neo or mediaeval Latin.

Throughout it all, I shall be doing Japanese SRS reps, watching anime, reading manga, reading interesting material and listening to Japanese music. After my Chinese reading speed boost phase, I might schedule a bit of L-R for one of my secondary goals to get a feel of it before Lingua Latina
1 person has voted this message useful

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 6091 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 2 of 2
01 May 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
After a reading a few pages, I found my reading speed in Mandarin accelerating. I haven't read anything longer than a newspaper article (even that very infrequently) in Mandarin for a year, and I'm pleased to note that my character recognition hasn't deteriorated in the slightest, possibly due to Japanese.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version