Joined 6052 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 1 of 12
01 May 2008 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
As I wrote in the New TAC thread:

Quote:
I may be in, with only one language, Russian (just because of the May, 1st start date...). My goal is to be able to move it from "Studies:" to "Speaks:" on my profile on the left, and to rival with Pushkin in expressing my unhappy feelings :-D

By that date I'll have an almost two months headstart at a leisurely pace (I started Russian a few days after my registration on this forum, March, 4th). To compensate, I'll devote some time to Listening - Reading French, a language I have never studied but where I am advantaged as Italian.

I'm not keeping an everyday log nor I am counting hours or the like, already too many diaries and logs in my other daily activities. If they are compulsory, feel free to boot me from the challenge.

Thus: Russian, with some French in the mix, with the possible inclusion of Polish at the end and a revival of Latin too, having yesterday learned that occasus doesn't belong to the 2nd declination, but to the 4th instead. This is something I can't let pass.

In these less than two months I completed Russian Pimsleur (sic! sigh!), but still feel as a beginning beginner. My learning plan for Russian:

- Listening - Reading Le Petit Prince
- finally starting Assimil and Princeton
- learning to handwrite cyrillic with a readable style, for a personal project (my Latin Alphabet handwriting resembles that of a doctor writing a recipe)
- in more advanced phases Listening - Reading to some Russian classics. Onegin is definitely on my list, even if it would make my Russian worse. If I find it, one day I'll like to (listening-) read Dr. Zhivago.
- more actively participating with my Russian language on internet forums and such, relying less on the way-too-easy-to-use automatic online translation.

Other languages:

- Listening - Reading the same Petit Prince en francais, and maybe continuing with some other French (audio)books.
- Let's discount Latin, Polish for the moment.

Finally, my current level (please, don't correct. I want to be able to correct by myself at the end of the year):

Он один,
она одна.
Почему они не вместе?

Они вместе.
Но он еще один,
она еще одна тоже.
Почему они вместе?

Way to go for Pushkin!

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 12
01 May 2008 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
I won't correct it but I'll say there's just one mistake ;) plus one small word that I'd add just for the poem to flow more naturally :-)

Good luck with your studies!

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 6052 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 3 of 12
01 May 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I won't correct it but I'll say there's just one mistake ;) plus one small word that I'd add just for the poem to flow more naturally :-)

Argh! It was better if you said nothing! ;-) You can tell my errors, I would not resist until the end of the year knowing that there are. :-D

Quote:
Good luck with your studies!

Good luck to you too, I'm particularly curious about your Latin. At least, there is very much in common with Russian regarding the use of cases and prepositions :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 12
01 May 2008 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Ok. тоже sounds unnatural at the end of the sentence, although knowing how unpredictable Russian is I assume it's possible to make a sentence in which it sounds ok. I won't tell you yet what small word I meant ;P

As for Latin, I've been studying it for four years now, but at school I didn't really learn much. Now at university I have a REALLY strict teacher :) What's your background in Latin btw? And does it help with your Russian? :))

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 6052 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 5 of 12
02 May 2008 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
Update: Day 1

Day 1: nothing. Unless you count parallelizing some texts.

Excuses: flu, May 1st, important football game on TV.

Serpent wrote:
Ok. тоже sounds unnatural at the end of the sentence, although knowing how unpredictable Russian is I assume it's possible to make a sentence in which it sounds ok. I won't tell you yet what small word I meant ;P

As for Latin, I've been studying it for four years now, but at school I didn't really learn much. Now at university I have a REALLY strict teacher :) What's your background in Latin btw? And does it help with your Russian? :))

Thanks, Serpent. Do you never use тоже at the end of any sentence, or is it just in my sentence? I'll sue Pimsleur otherwise ;-)

I did five years of Latin at school, but pretty much stopped it after two years. Now I'd like to resume it a bit. Yes, Latin has helped me. The cases are almost the same (Latin ablative is both the Russian instrumental and prepositional (?), with an old case, locative, still found in some words and with the same -e ending as in the Russian в гостинице), and with almost the same uses. Russian maybe uses genitive much more than Latin.
Instead, Italian doesn't have cases, while Finnish doesn't have (the common) prepositions.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 6 of 12
02 May 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
Could you give a particular example from Pimsleur? I can't think of a sentence where тоже sounds correct at the end of the sentence, but as I said, I won't be surprised if it turns out possible, because I know how unpredictable Russian is :D

By the way, I think the cases when Russian uses genitive and Latin doesn't are often the ones when Finnish uses partitive ;)

And get well soon! :)

Edited by Serpent on 02 May 2008 at 7:56am

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 6052 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 7 of 12
02 May 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Could you give a particular example from Pimsleur? I can't think of a sentence where тоже sounds correct at the end of the sentence, but as I said, I won't be surprised if it turns out possible, because I know how unpredictable Russian is :D

If you don't mind, I wouldn't like to listen again to the 45 hours of Pimsleur just to find an end-of-sentence тоже... Besides, I'm not 100 % sure that it happens, just a feeling.

Quote:
By the way, I think the cases when Russian uses genitive and Latin doesn't are often the ones when Finnish uses partitive ;)

I have no idea of the Finnish partitive! I left Finnish school at an age of ten. But for example для and из would require other cases in Latin.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version