angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6561 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 1 of 6
06 May 2008 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Just a few minutes ago, I completed a very big goal in Korean. Starting back in January and up to today, I completed reading all 4 of the New Testement gospels in Korean. Without language wanderlust, I probably could have completed this goal a little sooner but I'm glad I accomplished it.

Reading the first 4 books of the New Testament is not as hard as reading a Harry Potter in a foreign language. For one thing, many of the parables and the ideas repeat themselves. And so, it actually gets easier the further you go along. And the other thing that's good is that there is a Korean audio Bible online that anyone can listen to. (And I have to say that it's way easier than the Japanese Bible.)

My next task of course will be to take the notebook that I made for the Korean Biblical words and put them onto notecards. Over the next few weeks, I'll definitely be looking at the notecards and listening to the audio to help retain the material.

Reading another Book from the Korean Bible will be a fun challenge but I'm going to wait a while before deciding where to go.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6379 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
06 May 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Congratulations.. it's very impressive considering that I haven't touched a page of Korean Bible, although I am a native speaker. :)

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 3 of 6
06 May 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
What did you find the language like? My wife ( who is Korean ) says its actually a little archaic. Did you find the same? I ask as the bible is an obvious book for me to aim at as we have a Korean-English bible at home to go with the recordings you mention.

Which version did you read? I'm assuming there are multiple translations into Korean here.

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6561 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 4 of 6
06 May 2008 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
The version I read was the 개역한글, which is used in most of the Korean Churches. And it's also the basis for the audio recordings. The first 4 books of the New Testament are probably the easiest. The Korean Bible does use some old words like 모친 for mother instead of 어머니. Overall, the Korean Bible is probably is probably at the same difficulty level as the NIV.

http://www.holybible.or.kr/
Here is the web page that has the Korean Bible along with the audio. My recommendation is to get one of the Mozilla browsers and zoom the text up to 150 percent.

Edited by skeeterses on 07 May 2008 at 12:11am

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6362 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 6
07 May 2008 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Wow, congratulations! This is a really nice achievement!! :)

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 6 of 6
07 May 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
skeeterses wrote:
The version I read was the 개역한글, which is used in most of the Korean Churches. And it's also the basis for the audio recordings. The first 4 books of the New Testament are probably the easiest. The Korean Bible does use some old words like 모친 for mother instead of 어머니. Overall, the Korean Bible is probably is probably at the same difficulty level as the NIV.

http://www.holybible.or.kr/
Here is the web page that has the Korean Bible along with the audio. My recommendation is to get one of the Mozilla browsers and zoom the text up to 150 percent.

Thanks fore the answers and congratulations on the achievement!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version