Groupie
United States
Joined 6826 days ago

55 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Vietnamese, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 17 of 27
03 May 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I don't mind people hijacking the thread as long as it has to deal with the topic at hand (ie: Arabic and dialects...). Finals are now over. I can finally finish the book and keep on studying :) I am using that Syrian Colloquial ebook with the mp3s. I am also using my friends. A lot.

1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6958 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 27
04 May 2006 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
vinz wrote:
I am using that Syrian Colloquial ebook with the mp3s.

I downloaded it a while ago but haven't looked at it yet. Is it any good? Actually, even if it isn't, who cares since it's free!

Edited by patuco on 04 May 2006 at 6:02am

vinz
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6826 days ago

55 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Vietnamese, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 19 of 27
04 May 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
It's pretty good. My Lebanese friends told me they use quite "formal" greetings and other structures, but that's because Lebanese people rarely use them. I tend to learn from the book and then go back to my friends to 'lebanize' what I learned. And yes, it's free so who cares :)

pieces of rain
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 6733 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Croatian, English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: French

Message 20 of 27
15 May 2006 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
I think I've got the alphabet now! I've worked through Awde's book, a reader my friend left me, and am currently practicing the Fatiha (learning to read and pronounce). Ready to purchase my first "real" course. Thanks again for your help.

I have one last question: it seems that there are a few different editions available of Arabic with Ease. I found one from 2004, another from 1994, another from 1985. Is there a large difference between these editions? Do you know if any of them is especially better or worse than the others?

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6958 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 27
16 May 2006 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
I don't have any of these editions but I seem to remember Ardaschir mentioning in another thread that the best Assimil courses were those from the eighties. I don't think that it really matters that much, so if you have to choose between them, go for the cheapest!

pieces of rain
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 6733 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Croatian, English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: French

Message 22 of 27
19 May 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Makes sense to me.

I just found out that my library has a copy of Arabic with Ease. It arrived only a week ago. I've put it on hold, and plan on playing with it, trying it out for a few weeks. While reviewing, of course... I don't want to really *start* a course right now, because I have final exams at school in a few weeks. I'll let you know what I think about the program!

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6469 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 23 of 27
12 March 2007 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I used the booklet that came with the linguaphone course to learn the script, doing all the exercises. It's well planned out, and provides plently of practice: within a few days I had it down, and from then on I copied out the texts in the course to practice writing. The linguaphone course is good a start, teaches almost 2000 words and all the import grammar in an intelligent way.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6958 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 27
12 March 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
DavidW wrote:
I used the booklet that came with the linguaphone course to learn the script, doing all the exercises. It's well planned out, and provides plently of practice: within a few days I had it down...

Really! I found that the Linguaphone method of learning the alphabet was confusing me so I used other resources to learn before carrying on with the rest of the course.

Edited by patuco on 12 March 2007 at 6:10pm

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version