egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 82
13 June 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
This is the opening of my journal, i shall not be posting everyday, more like every week or two.

Currently right at the end of MT beginner, hope to have it finished this week, then go back and review it from disc 5 onwards. Have inputted a lot from the transcripts into Supermemo 2004, and i do this everyday, there are currently 650 flashcards. Also try and listen to a few podcasts everyday. And am going to buy some easy books to read.

target is 2 hours a day, but its not always possible, so a minimum of an hour, with an aim of basic fluency by the end of summer.
1 person has voted this message useful

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 2 of 82
15 June 2007 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
14th, did 79 minutes total. Mainly Michel Thomas, but about a third of the time was on flash cards. Didnt listen to any podcasts, which is the first time in a couple of weeks i didnt do that. Hopefully i will spend at least 90 minutes today.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 3 of 82
16 June 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
15th, shocking day, only managed 40mins total. Got a new workbook, thinks its a bit above my level, so was disheartened. Started to translate some of it, but there was no english translation, for the main text to check my translation against, so i gave up rather than translate it wrong. May go through the questions today though, as there are english translation to the questions and answers. Today is already looking better than yesterday.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 4 of 82
17 June 2007 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
16th, managed 90 minutes on this day, which im happy with as i cant study to many minutes in a row before i get distracted. always been a problem, lack of concentration. Almost finished MT beginner, just reviewing the last few parts of the last disc. Then i might try working through some of the sections again on random, to make sure i fully understand all of it before moving onto MT advanced.

Ordered some books through amazon, think they were practice makes perfect grammar, a cheap book with a lot of phrases and two fiction books to work through, i have them both in english so that should help. Amazon was cancelling my orders at the start of the year, hopefully it doesnt on this order, i created a new account so it should be ok.

Seems like i have already ignored my first post about not posting everyday, though that could change over the next few weeks, going to be really busy with work so an hour a day could be a luxury and posting on here could also be limited. But i hope to keep making progress with Spanish. as i feel i have made a lot of progress in the last couple of months.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 5 of 82
18 June 2007 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
17th, was happy with the effort put in and progress made, 125 minutes of learning, 20 minutes of that was listening to some podcasts. I had heard a few of them before, and im understood more this time. Whereas before i would hear some words and notice that i knew them, this time i heard more i knew and could translate them in my head quick enough to get the gist of what was being said, in more than half the sentences. i think this is some real progess.

Been updating my flashcards again, got most of everything i want from the first 7 discs of the MT course on them now, hope to finish putting the couple of bits left from those 7 on today, 18th, and put half of disc 8 on also. should have finished fully learning disc 8 tomorrow, still make a couple of mistakes at the minute.

im happy with the progress so far, could be a very productive summer.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 6 of 82
19 June 2007 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
18th, 132 minutes, very happy with that. Im now comfortable enough to moved on to MT advanced, listened to all of the parts of the beginner course, until i understood everything. Im thinking of covering the part on the word "hay" again, as during my flashcards i fail a lot on cards focussed on that word. So more work is needed on that, but otherwise I am fairly confident with the rest of it.

Got most of everything from MT beginner into my flashcards, probably only got about 10-12 cards left to make from it, spent 30 minutes on the 18th catching up to where i was in the listening and comprehension.

is it just me or is the sound recording on the advanced not as good as the beginner? Though im only through the first two parts.

The 18th was my first day attempting to read the news at BBC mundo, went okay, got the gist of several articles, but still so much i have yet to learn.

listened to some more podcasts as well, i think it is better to have a more rounded view of a language, with the listening reading and speaking. As soon as i know a bit more i will also start writing, as you remember a lot more when you read, write, listen and speak, 80% i think. Though i didnt agree 100% how they taught languages at school, at least they made you do all of those things.

and with flashcards to help remember vocabulary and structure i think this structured learning should help my knowledge progress quicker.

another unentertaining post.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 7 of 82
20 June 2007 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
19th was a no go really, did 20 minutes, but had been so ill all day, dust hayfever etc. went to bed after my evening meal. had 250 flashcards to answer then, dont know how many it will be today, but it will be long. hopefully a more productive day today.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 8 of 82
21 June 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
20th, about 60 mins, 40 odd of that was answering the flashcards, had 350+ to do, broke it down into little segments of 50-75 cards at a time. Cant seem to focus long enough to do a 100+ at a time. So doing shorter bursts seem to allow me to get a higher % right. Im using supermemo with a 5% forgetting index. Then 20+ minutes of podcasts, no new learning on this day. hope to get back on to MT today.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version