egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 82
26 June 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Decided i was going to do 2 hours on the 25th, and i made all 120 minutes of it before i went to sleep, though it was hard work as i didnt do any before 10pm and i take a lot of breaks, so was quite late for language learning.

Spent 30 minutes look at some emails from about.com, about learning Spanish, with words of the day and other items like that. the links from the emails did have some interesting and useful items on them, grammar tips etc, and they were all to their website. Think it was half hour well spent but not something i would do everyday.

Flashcards only took 7mins, wasnt too many to do. Also spent 13 mins on bbc mundo several of the articles had more varied words, many that i was not familiar with, and some of those i wrote down to find the translations for, as they occured quite often.

Listened to 34 mins of podcasts, quite a lot i think, going to try and listen to less and do more actual learning rather than the passive listening. but i wouldnt mind listening to more if i had already spent a lot of time studying new items, or if it was on in the background all day. SO im not saying that it is a bad thing for me to do just, was just a high percentage of my time. Also thinking about getting some music in Spanish, maybe some latin hip hop.

Last i spent 36 mins covering some MT advanced, havent made any progress on this, its mainly recapping stuff from the beginner course at the minute, but its only a couple of school boy errors on each segment. But i tend to make progress in leaps and bounds then stall for a while. But while i was reading serpents log i saw the link to the test and answered the questions and it told me that is the way i learn. Think i have taken a test like that before, and it gave me the answers that i received then. They are quite helpful for planning your learning.

Long post
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 18 of 82
26 June 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on today's work!

Sexton Blake
United Kingdom
sextonblake.co.
Joined 6333 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes

Message 19 of 82
26 June 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi egg, hi volte.

It's really interesting to see how someone else works. I started learning Spanish about 8 weeks ago, completely from scratch, so having this access to someone else's work routine is really helpful -- keeps me motivated.

One thing I didn't expect to have to learn - but which turns out to be of critical importance - is my own 'learning style'. I started out with MT but was surprised to find that I can only take him in small doses. In fact, the same goes for all the audio courses I've tried (Pimsleur, FSI -- though I have high hopes for Assimil, which I just ordered from Amazon). I revisit them every few days but I find it very difficult to work through them lesson by lesson.

After experimenting, I eventually found that I make the best progress by combining flashcards with Madrigal's Magic Key (which takes a similar approach to MT) and a step-by-step Spanish Grammar. I dip in and out of other books too, and back it all up by listening to Spanish language podcasts and watching Spanish TV and films (without subtitles).

Flashcard-wise, I'm working my way from front to back of a frequency dictionary -- the theory being that I'll progress faster if I learn the words most used!

For most of my 44 years, I was convinced that I couldn't learn a language. These past weeks have been very encouraging.

I'm two weeks away from a fortnight's holiday in Spain, so that'll be the big test.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 20 of 82
26 June 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
frequency dictionary is ok, but just remember things are said in a different way in different languages, so you have learn how they would say something, rather than literal translations.;) i agree that its very important to know how you learn, im changing and adding things to my learning schedule when i see ways to improve my learning, and im waiting on some books as we speak.

good luck and get in some good practice in spain

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 21 of 82
27 June 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
not much worth posting for the 26th, went out on the lash, didnt get much time to do any Spanish before that, made 35 minutes, made up of MT, flashcards and BBC Mundo, should do a proper session today, at least an hour, quite tired though

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 22 of 82
28 June 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
27th, 79 minutes. was happy with the effort, as i was quite tired. Hadnt added any flashcards in while, and as im quite enjoying reading on the BBC Mundo site ive decided to look a few words that occur often and add 10 of them a day to my flashcards.

Only did 11 minutes of MT adv, think i should do more of this. 20 minutes on BBC MUndo, am enjoying that, will try and do more of that as well. ALso refound ielanguages, which is a very very useful website. Other stuff was podcasts and reading and flashcards.

anyone who is reading do you think i should have my flashcards asking the questions in Spanish and answering them in english, because at the minute i only have them english to Spanish? or do you think that the reading will be sufficient for Spanish to english translation?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 82
28 June 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
If you read in Spanish on a regular basis you should be able to learn/internalize the words anyway, so for a flashcard approach I'd go for English to Spanish (or Swedish to Spanish) - sort of like Assimil. "Learn" the words, then translate back.

If flashcards was your only method of vocabulary learning, you could perhaps do either direction and switch after you know all of them.

In most programs, the words you don't know (anymore) will be moved to the first "box", so a word of which you know the meaning perfectly in one direction could be more difficult on the other.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 24 of 82
29 June 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeff, thats what i thought, but wanted to check.

28th 92 minutes, made some progress on MT advanced, and spent half hour doing it, think i should spend at least half an hour a day on MT, not keep getting sidetracked.
20 minutes on BBC mundo, some articles are a lot more difficult for me than others.

Flashcards arent taking too much time at the minute, so will have to add some more. Tried some other podcasts, not just the radio ones that i normally listen to, but ones that teach Spanish, as i have downloaded a lot.

The 10 words a day plan only lasted one day, didnt start it properly as i didnt really learn the words before i put them in the flashcards, so i only remembered 3 of the 10 on my first go. So im thinking of learning them, not decided how yet, and then add them, hopefully i can work out a way to do that. Played with the linkword demo for a bit, that seemed like a good way to remember the words, but not going to spending a lot buying that any time soon.

Some books arrived today, 29th, practice makes perfect Spanish grammar, a book of phrases which was only 70p, and two books by Jeffrey Deaver that i have in English, which i hope to start on in the next few weeks, maybe days.

Hopeful today is going to be a good learning day.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version