egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 33 of 82
04 July 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
3rd, 32 minutes, nothing to be proud of. Was a really busy day, didnt get to start until half nine, just after ten i was real tired and fell asleep. At least got some MTadv done, 19 minutes, and my flashcards which took 13. Nothing else to report. But today is going to be better.
1 person has voted this message useful

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 34 of 82
05 July 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
4th, 109 minutes, definite improvement on the day before. Spent 61 minutes on MTadv, and made some good progress, so going to try and keep up a fair amount of this everyday. Spent 7 minutes on my flashcards, and 14 minutes making new ones. I have learnt to keep them upto date, otherwise it makes things a lot more difficult. ANd 27 minutes on Iversens wordlists, trying to learn some new vocabulary that will help me when reading the news online, among other things. Hope this works, ill check on the 6th and if i remember them add them to Supermemo, im hoping it does.

short post, but thats all i have to report

martynlcfc
United Kingdom
Joined 6319 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 35 of 82
05 July 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
egg, i've had a quick look for this wordlist from iversen of which you speak but no puedo encontrarlo. Would you be able to point me in its direction.

Keep up the good work, I've been studying for about 6 weeks and have completed the MT courses once each and have started FSI - currently on unit 7.

Edited by martynlcfc on 05 July 2007 at 4:42pm

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 36 of 82
05 July 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
wordlists I have a more systematic approach to the MT courses, where i go over and over the different sections until i fully understand the, before moving onto the next. NOt each individual part but several at a time depending on how challenging im finding them. After that i think ill move onto FSI programattic, which i have downloaded and had a look at. thanks for reading the log and posting a message.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 37 of 82
06 July 2007 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
5th, 187 minutes, thats a considerable amount of time for me to spend on this in one day. 85 minutes was listening to podcasts though, but passive learning does help to make words, sentences more familiar and i try and understand it a lot of the time, and at other points i just try to feel comfortable listening to the language being spoken. 86 minutes on MTadv, one of the segments is causing me a problem, but i am completely comfortable with several after it, so it is holding me up at the minute, and i hope to deal with it today so i can make some more progress. And finally 16 minutes on my flashcards.

HAvent done any reading for a few days, so that is a target over the weekend, one reason is that i have been looking up a lot of the words that i dont know when reading, and havent had enough time to learn them, hopefully Iversens wordlist method should allow me to learn a lot of them.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 38 of 82
07 July 2007 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
6th, 101 minutes, happy with that as it i think i have overcome my sticking point on MT, the subjunctive tense. I spent 83 minutes using MTadv, and made some good progress after that sticking point. 5 minutes on flashcards, 5 minutes reviewing my attempt at Iversens wordlists. I think it could work for me if the words are not 100% new, if i have seen or heard them before, but didnt know at all, it seemed to work, but for words i had only seen just on that wordlist i didnt remember so well. Then finally spent 8 minutes making new flashcards.

So im going to try and keep up at least an hour of MTadv everyday, and doing my flashcards, and continue with the Iversens wordlist method, and hope to improve at that.

any help with any hints with teh subjunctive would be appreciated.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 39 of 82
08 July 2007 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
7th, 176 minutes, this was a very good day for me. I spent 108 minutes working with MTadv, made a lot of progress, and am already starting to think what course i should work with next, any ideas? I thought maybe FSI programmatic, or get Pimsleur from the library, or carry on with MT language builder and the new course. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. With making all this progress it means i have to make a lot more flashcards, it took me 42 minutes to make all of these, and that is only progress since the day before.

I spent 11 minutes working with my flashcards, before i added the new ones, think i did pretty well with those, hardly any i didnt get perfect. After making the new flashcards i now have over 1000, didnt take long to get to this many. There are probably a few that are pretty similar, but if it helps me remember/learn everything i have covered then im more than happy to spend the extra time.

Spent 15 minutes starting a new wordlist, think im going to even better with this attempt than the last, as i have tried a bit of word association, where possible. When i woke up today i could remember all of them, without even looking at the sheet for the english, so hopefully the same tomorrow when i test myself and then put them into Supermemo.

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6663 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: German, Esperanto

Message 40 of 82
08 July 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
I am not a fan of Pimsleur. You will spend a lot of time learning things you have already been taught by MT. Even if you complete all 90 lessons you will still not be able to consider yourself to be at intermediate level. You will have very good pronounciation though which could be helpful as Michel Thomas does not contain any native Spanish speakers.

I also don't like FSI myself but that is just because I find it extremely boring and at least before long you will be learning a lot if you can stick with it.

But given the time you are spending a day, there is always the option of trying both

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version