egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 49 of 82
11 July 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
10th, 64 minutes, about all im going to be able to manage most week days now. happy enough with it, 31 minutes of MTadv made more progress, hope im coming to the end of this program soon. 20 minutes on flashcards, 13 minutes of BBC Mundo, found quite a few words i didnt know but wanted to look up, and found a lot more words i did know so that was positive.

mainly found that i shouldnt try and push too far forward, as i tried to start reading a book, and the language was too advanced for me to find it enjoyable, spent more time in the dictionary. Not saying dont pick something challenging to do, but dont pick something thatll make you give up, thats why i like testing my knowledge on the news websites as they dont use a huge vocabulary, but there is still a lot you dont know that you can look up and learn from. And with my flashcards being english-> Spanish it helps me test my knowledge from Spanish -> english.

also im not much of a text book learner, prefer real things, i.e. talking, experiments, visual things. Words in a textbook is not such an easy thing for remembering, especially a new language, not saying i cant learn like that, got my degree last year, but i dont do as well if thats how i have to learn. So im saying i like the audio courses where you have to think of the answers yourself, and it develops your aural and vocal skills from the start, unlike learning in a textbook or classroom environment. and i think that i am learning a lot quicker, even though Michel Thomas may not be the most natural sounding Spanish ;).

I just think a well rounded approach is the best route, read items as challenging as you can, and look up words you dont know, watch films/tv in that language, listen to the radio, flashcards and audio grammar course. I think the grammar is a very essential part of learning the language, as you have to know how sentences are constructed and how things are said in that language.

that is my view so far.
1 person has voted this message useful

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 50 of 82
12 July 2007 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
11th, 63 minutes. 35 minutes on MTadv, more progress, 18 minutes of flashcards, 10 minutes of podcasts. Simple day, not much to write about, made it past the hour mark.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 51 of 82
13 July 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
12th, 60 minutes, 17 minutes flashcards, 30 minutes on MTadv, can really feel it coming together on the MT stuff. Finally 13 minutes on BBC Mundo, think now is the time to start more reading in Spanish, as im seeing a lot of words i know in articles that i would be able to translate from english to Spanish but not Spanish to english, so more time spent working out what each article is saying, and using the words i know should bring me on another stage and allow me to pick up more words, from the context.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 52 of 82
14 July 2007 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
13th, 68 minutes, 20 minutes with flashcards, quite confident with pretty much all of my flashcards. 22 minutes on BBC Mundo, seem to know a lot more Spanish now, which is good for the confidence. and 26 minutes with MTadv, a lot more progress. Hopefully will make a lot more progress this weekend with everything, and put in a lot more time.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 53 of 82
14 July 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
14th, might as well post it now as im not going to do any more today, going out in a bit, been distracted all day, only made 36 minutes, 13 minutes reviewing flashcards and 23 minutes making new flashcards. happy though, made good progress this week. thought i was going to do several hours today, but i was idle yet again. till next time.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 54 of 82
16 July 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
15th, 134 minutes, 42 minutes using MTadv, made some progress. Im going to have a look at the transcript to see if i think its worth it, but does anyone who reads this think it worth getting MT Language builder and then the new vocab course, or just the vocab course. thanks. Im still trying to learn through reading as well, spent 15 minutes on 20minutos.es, there always seems to be a lot more words on here that i dont know, compared with BBC Mundo, so a lot of new words written in my learning journal. 7 minutes on flashcards, supermemo gave me an easy day with very few words to review, in comparison with the normal 150+. and finally 70 minutes listening to news podcasts, getting a lot more comfortable with hearing and picking out a lot of the words, but still not translating them, in my head, to english very well or quick.

till next time

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 55 of 82
17 July 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
16th, started to pick it up a bit, 210 minutes, 46 minutes with MTadv, made some good progress, almost on the last disc. Started working with the Coffee Break Spanish (CBS) podcast, it seems to be a good complement to the MT stuff as it focuses on general conversation and touristy stuff which i have yet to encounter on MT, not saying he doesnt cover it, maybe in the language builder or new vocab. Spent 147 minutes on CBS, covering the first 8 lessons, first couple of lessons were pretty basic and most of the first 8 was stuff i should know, but there was some i didnt. Anyway it was good practice. And finally 17 minutes reviewing my flashcards.

Have read another thread that recommends CBS, and purchasing the extra materials. not sure ill do that yet, but hope to work through the rest of their podcasts in the next couple of days.

I know i said "stuff" quite a bit in this post, not feeling too intelligent today.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 56 of 82
18 July 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
17th, 194 minutes. 115 minutes working through parts 9-14 of CBS, there is a lot of extra vocabulary here which isnt covered in MT, part 9 is the review unit, so that is a good place to start if you have some Spanish knowledge and just want to pick up some general conversation. Spent 38 minutes trying to learn some of the vocabulary in my notebook, and 22 minutes on MTadv, made some good progress again. As stated earlier i often end up doing each part several times so that i fully understand it, not so i learn all the answers, but so that i understand how to work them out. Finally 19 minutes reviewing flashcards. Soon i will have to spend a good amount of time making more flashcards, but cant be bothered at the minute as i will have to go through all my flashcards making sure the ones i want to add arent in there, which is very tedious.

thanks for reading, hope to post something more useful soon.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version