Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Malay*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 33 of 43
16 February 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I am currently hunting down English translations of interesting French literature, so that I may be able to make parallel texts to assist me with my French studies when the time comes. In the meantime, I will list down my finds in this post, so as to share them with my fellow learners of the French language.

Anytime I complete a parallel text of my own, I will share them too. (Currently, I am preparing an English-French-Japanese version of Le Petit Prince. If anyone's interested, do let me know!)

---------

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- Le Petit Prince - English / French

Edmond Rostand
- Cyrano de Bergerac - English / French

Jules Verne - (Gutenberg Link)
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - English / French
- Michael Strogoff, Or, The Courier of the Czar - English / French

Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - English / French

Molière
- Sganarelle, or, the Self-Deceived Husband - English / French

Guy de Maupassant
- Madamoiselle Fifi - English / French

Émile Zola
- Germinal - English / French

Edited by ryuukohito on 17 February 2008 at 10:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 34 of 43
16 February 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
From my French literature classes I also enjoyed "Michel Strogoff" by Jules Verne (one of his lesser-known works but a more thrilling story than his other works imho) and "Le Cid" by Pierre Corneille.

Jules Verne novels are usually quite easy except for the gratuitous terminology he adds - for example in "20000 leagues under the sea" he will mention a lot of Latin names and classifications for fish. However, since this kind of information typically appears clustered and doesn't contribute in any way to the plot, you can easily skip it.

Molière is probably even easier and has the immense advantage that it's mostly written in present tense, avoiding that literary passé simple tense. However, I didn't enjoy his works as much, though somebody else might find them very funny.

"Le Cid" is a tragi-comédie written in verse-form, so unfortunately you probably won't be able to start on it soon.

Vocabulary-wise "Le petit prince" is probably the easiest, but it's written almost completely in that literary passé simple tense...

By the way, I'd be really interested in an Indonesian version of that, it could probably be a very good first reading!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 16 February 2008 at 12:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 

Message 35 of 43
16 February 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
From my French literature classes I also enjoyed "Michel Strogoff" by Jules Verne (one of his lesser-known works but a more thrilling story than his other works imho) and "Le Cid" by Pierre Corneille.

Jules Verne novels are usually quite easy except for the gratuitous terminology he adds - for example in "20000 leagues under the sea" he will mention a lot of Latin names and classifications for fish. However, since this kind of information typically appears clustered and doesn't contribute in any way to the plot, you can easily skip it.

Molière is probably even easier and has the immense advantage that it's mostly written in present tense, avoiding that literary passé simple tense. However, I didn't enjoy his works as much, though somebody else might find them very funny.

"Le Cid" is a tragi-comédie written in verse-form, so unfortunately you probably won't be able to start on it soon.

Vocabulary-wise "Le petit prince" is probably the easiest, but it's written almost completely in that literary passé simple tense...

By the way, I'd be really interested in an Indonesian version of that, it could probably be a very good first reading!

Thank you for the literature suggestions! (Especially 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea; I wonder if you could possibly afford me the favour of checking to see whether it is written in simple-past or archaic-past tense?) Looking around for them and adding to the list as we speak.

Also, I've ventured around, but was not able to find an online Malay version of Le Petit Prince for you. (If it still interests you though, here I offer a link where you may purchase the Malay, specifically Indonesian, translation: http://www.petit-prince.at/pp-indones.htm )

Edited by ryuukohito on 17 February 2008 at 12:17am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 36 of 43
17 February 2008 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Thanks. "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" uses the literary past tense, though often you'll also find regular imparfait and present tense. You will be hard pressed to find a novel that isn't written in literary tense, especially a classic, so going for a theatre play (like Molière) at first might be best.

By the way, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" can be found online in French and English , just like "Michael Strogoff" in French and English .

Unfortunately I couldn't see where to buy the Indonesian version of the Little Prince. That page you linked to seems to only have a description of the book...

Is there a big difference between written language in novels and spoken language in Indonesian?

Edited by Sprachprofi on 17 February 2008 at 2:54am

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 

Message 37 of 43
17 February 2008 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Thanks. "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" uses the literary past tense, though often you'll also find regular imparfait and present tense. You will be hard pressed to find a novel that isn't written in literary tense, especially a classic, so going for a theatre play (like Molière) at first might be best.

By the way, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" can be found online in French and English , just like "Michael Strogoff" in French and English .

Unfortunately I couldn't see where to buy the Indonesian version of the Little Prince. That page you linked to seems to only have a description of the book...

Is there a big difference between written language in novels and spoken language in Indonesian?

Here's the publisher of the book: http://gramedia.com/buku_detail.asp?id=EKVL2358&kat=5

If my usage of linguistic terms is correct (I must apologize in advance, for my knowledge is very shallow when it linguistics), then I would say there exists a situation of diglossia in the Malay language. At least, in Malaysia, if you attempt to speak what you have read, it would sound very awkward, funny even. It's just that different.

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 38 of 43
17 February 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
On the internet, there is a bad English translation of 20000 leagues under the sea and a good one. The bad translation is done by Lewis Mericier.

Heres the link for the good English translation20000 leagues

I've looked through this translation and it seems to follow the french text very well.

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 

Message 39 of 43
26 February 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm thinking of purchasing any of the French Harry Potter audiobook series. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of voice the speaker has? (I'd be very interested if it featured a deep, male voice with good pronunciation, because that's what I'm aiming for.)

Edited by ryuukohito on 26 February 2008 at 10:13pm

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 6091 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 40 of 43
26 February 2008 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
I think someone once mentioned that the Harry Potter French audiobooks have a very exaggerated style of speech. You might want to try L'Etranger by Albert Camus; it's written in the regular (non passe simple) past and it's spoken by the author himself.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version