Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Malay*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 9 of 12
14 February 2008 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Dear rekunokoto,

Good luck with your efforts! I'm learning Japanese as well, so feel free to ask me for study tips (but please, nothing on the actual grammar, not yet) or study materials. I'd be happy to share.

A note on the Heisig method: spending time making stories should not be deemed a waste of time. It really helps. I speak from my own experience: I completed Heisig in about a month's time; by the end of it, I had managed to memorize (and was already able to produce, properly, with ease) at least a thousand kanji or so. (My exercise book was however never filled with rote exercises of kanji; so I think that attests to the efficacy of Heisig's method. The only times many similar kanji appeared together was when I was doing exercises to improve my handwriting.) Even now, when I haven't reviewed any particularly difficult kanji for some months, the mnemonic images flashing in my head anytime I try to think of the form of a kanji (or be given its keyword), would always manage to lead me to its proper drawing.

I however did peruse rote methods for mastering the kana. I think that's alright, considering that the kana set is limited, compared to kanji, which are numerous in number.

Edited by ryuukohito on 14 February 2008 at 7:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tryllid
Groupie
United States
Joined 5996 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 12
01 May 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I learned all the kanji in about a year using rote memorization and actual Japanese school textbooks. Like you, I found that complicated mnemonics were more trouble than just learning the character much of the time.

I second the need for an electronic dictionary. Personally, I use a Nintendo DS with the Kanji sono mama dictionary program, but there are some very nice stand-alone dictionaries that also let you write unknown kanji with a stylus.

tryllid
Groupie
United States
Joined 5996 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 12
01 May 2008 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock - where did you buy your Nintendo DS. The version I've been able to find is about ~129 dollars. Did you buy it on Amazon?

Thanks

Tryllid.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6711 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 12 of 12
02 May 2008 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
I got a DS Lite at a Japanese department store a few weeks after the Lites came out. (I had to visit every day to snag one from a fresh shipment, but they're easy to find now.)

I think I paid practically that same amount. Amazon usually gives you a bit of a discount from regular retail prices, though.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 02 May 2008 at 1:34am

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version