Siberian
United States
Joined 6120 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
18 February 2008 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I've been reviewing this forum for at least a couple months now, and I think I've devised a way to teach myself some basic Spanish. I'm making this post because, I guess, it will make my goals "official". I've assembled a bunch of material, but here is my basic study plan (in sequence), any feedback would be greatly appreciated:

1. Rosetta Stone Levels 1 & 2 (I may try level three - I'm not sure)
2. Pimsleur Levels 1 & 2 (I may try three - I'm not sure right now)
3. Learning Spanish Like Crazy 1 & 2
4. FSI Basic Spanish 1 & 2 (from Barron's Mastering Spanish)
5. A trip to Mexico or Central America for some immersion (most likely next winter)

From there, I may try the Platequemos courses to complete the FSI path, or I may try some one-on-one tutoring, I'm not exactly sure. I know my study plan involves many introductory courses, but I figure it cannot hurt to drill the language structure in from a couple different approaches. So far, I really was impressed with the Rosetta Stone software, and the LSLC.

Thanks to everyone that posts in this forum, it has been an inspiration.

For my background, I speak no other languages (although I am Siberian Yupik Eskimo and know a little Central Yupik from my childhood). I have taken (in the past):

One year of high school Spanish (required)
One year of high school japanese (required)
One semester of college Spanish (required)
One semester of college russian (optional)
An introductory German course (in the military and required)

I've finally decided I want to learn basic Spanish & portuguese - not fluency, just enough to take a couple trips in the next few years. I've been to Mexico once, and really enjoyed it, hopefully I'll enjoy it more with basic language skills.

1 person has voted this message useful

Alfonso
Octoglot
Mexico
Joined 6804 days ago

511 posts - 536 votes 
Speaks: Biblical Hebrew, Spanish*, French, English, Tzotzil, Italian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek
Studies: Nahuatl, Tzeltal, German

Message 2 of 7
18 February 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to this forum, Siberian! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in my country. :)

As far as I can read in your post, I've got the impression that you are very well organized person to learn languages.

Siberian
United States
Joined 6120 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 3 of 7
19 February 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the welcome Alfonso! Ihave really enjoyed this forum and the excellent information presented here.

I did enjoy Mexico, I went to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo a couple years back. The resorts were nice, but I really enjoyed getting out into the country on a couple excursions. In many ways, rural Mexico reminded me of rural Alaska (where I was raised). I hope with my newfound language skills I'll be able to have a little more of an adventure next time. I am thinking of Acapulco, since I here it is a litte more of an "authentic" experience.

Siberian
United States
Joined 6120 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 4 of 7
03 April 2008 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Well, I thougth it would be about time to post my progress and some quick thoughts on what I have learned/experienced so far.

I have tried out the following:

1. Rosetta Stone Spanish Level 1 - Great way to learn for a beginner, in fact the best of the methods I have tried so far. I'm only about 30% of the way through the first level, but the learning is very intuitive. This is definitely my favorite introductory approach so far. Each level has about 16 units, and I am guessing each level takes at least a month to complete with about 45 minutes to an hour dedicated each day.

2. Learning Spanish Like Crazy - I'm not a fan so far, although I now own the course. I've completed a few lessons, and they introduce so much information. Perhaps this will be more useful later on.

3. Pimsleur Spanish Level 1 - Far easier to complete than LSLC, I've completed several lessons and the repetition really reinforces the limited amount of vocabulary that is introduced. I think there may be some science behind the method (graduated interval recall). Along with Rosetta Stone, this seems to be rather easier than the other approaches.

4. Rocket Spanish - I tried the first six or so lessons that are free with registration. I actually preferred them to LSLC, but the approach is not up to par with Pimsleur. There is more discussion of grammer and structure, and the dialogs are enjoyable to listen to.

5. Michel Thomas - I tried a sample lesson, and listened to a review course. While its an interesting approach (as if you are in a class with other students), Michel Thomas' thick french accent makes it very challenging for a beginner. Although I've only listened to an hour or so, I think the Pimsleur course may be superior.

6. FSI - I haven't really made any progress with this. I think I'll tackle it after completing Rosetta Stone Levels 1 & 2.

7. Other - I picked up some good books, so far I'm using a grammar guide. Pimsluer and Rosetta Stone don't really effectively introduce you to grammar, so a guide is useful. After a few lessons, the guide really explained to me what was going on.    

As a pure beginner, with a month or so of intermittant study behind me, I would recommend the Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur approaches first. I plan on using them concurrently. Unfortunately, these courses are the most expensive.

On thing to note on the Rosetta Stone software, the voice recognition seems to be a little out of sync with my computer. I have to speak really slow to get the full green circle. If I speak at the same pace as the program, it gives me a low score.

Siberian
United States
Joined 6120 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 5 of 7
09 April 2008 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
I added "Destinos" to my study plan. I'm actually enjoying it. It's pretty old, but it has an interesting story line so far. Plus, its free w/ registration. Its kind of slow for a download, but I just get it started in the morning while getting ready and watch it before heading to the office.

I kept having problems with Rosetta Stone's speech recognition, I finally figured out the problem. Due to some problem with vista it was trying to match up my voice to a super slow voice profile. I think this is because Vista has so many processes running in the background. I transferred the program to my XP laptop and the problem was solved. I was really beginning to worry that my Spanish pronunciation was horrible, but it was just Vista. I checked with some native Spanish speakers and they said my pronunciation was fine. This is important to note if you plan on installing the program on a Vista machine.

I'm now about 3/4 of the way finished with Rosetta Stone level 1, and on Unit 10 of Pimsleur 1. I find I am retaining more information from the Pimsleur course than the Rosetta Stone method.

Feculent
Switzerland
Joined 6104 days ago

136 posts - 144 votes 
Studies: French, German

Message 6 of 7
21 April 2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
If you want to try experimenting with any other courses, you might want to look at Assimil, though I think you've probably got plenty going on for now =)

Siberian
United States
Joined 6120 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 7 of 7
26 April 2008 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks Feculent, I might check out Assimil after I work through the stuff I already have.

I'm on lesson 21 for Pimsleur Spanish I. I should be farther along, but I took a break, that is a mistake with Pimsleur. I have had to repeat a couple lessons just to catch up again. Pimsleur is addictive.

I stopped the Destinos after Episode 5 as the dialogue began moving pretty quickly. I will follow up with it after completing Pimlseur I. I also stopped Rosetta Stone level I after it began to get pretty hard and I realized my comprehension wasn't that great. I only have one more unit in Level I an I plan on finishing that this week.

The phrases and vocabulary from Pimsleur seem to "stick" better with me than any of the other methods so far. But I am still in the basics phase.

I am realizing that learning a language takes dedication and focus.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version