Italy
Joined 6052 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 9 of 14
09 March 2008 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Vlad wrote:
I don't know about European languages in general, but among Romance languages on two occasions I have mistaken European Portugese with Russian because the speakers were far away in an echoed and noisy hall and I have been told by several people that they've had similar experiences. Portugese have the tendency to 'eat' their vowels which leads to creating consonant clusters so typical for Slavic languages.. this is my theory at least:-)

This is strange: I once was awake very late and turned TV on. There was a 20-30 years old TV series in a historical setting, in original language with subtitles, something very rare in Italy, where everything is usually dubbed.

It took me twenty minutes to convince myself that it was Portuguese and not Russian, and only because of the names of the characters... And I claim to be able to recognize most languages!

Edited by Leopejo on 09 March 2008 at 7:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6436 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 10 of 14
10 March 2008 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Grazie :) Infatti ho creato quel blog proprio per imparare l'italiano attraverso l'uso attivo. Puoi fare lo stesso anche te. É abbastanza facile da cominciare e continuare, perché scoprirai che sei in condizioni diverse da un blog solito: hai più difficoltà e meno strumenti espressivi. Dal altro lato, avendo le dificoltà nell'esprimerti, ti senti più libero nei temi, si può essere diretto, si può non preoccuparsi molto dello stile, ecc. Non so se questo andrebbe bene per te. A me piace più scrivere una piccola notizia che un post in un forum, a te può piacere l'altro.

1 person has voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 6052 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 11 of 14
10 March 2008 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Ciao,

non avrei abbastanza argomenti per un blog. Al momento "scrivo" su alcuni gruppi in В Контакте, per esempio su quello della "mia" squadra di calcio (non sapevo che la Fiorentina avesse dei tifosi in Russia!). Però ho visto che uso troppo Google Translate, ed imparo poco. Forse fra un paio di settimane potrò essere più attivo.

Il tuo Italiano è ottimo, io invece sono un principiante nel vero senso della parola.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 6052 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 12 of 14
12 March 2008 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
1 week update (conventionally starting from when I joined these forums)

The first (and last for me?) 8 lessons of Pimsleur are over. The first 3-4 were too easy, but having completed 8 I begin to see the logic behind them. Not much difficulty, apart from the "Wouldn't you like something to drink?" kind of phrases, where I always found myself thinking too much and which I didn't pronounce well. I'd like to continue with them, but since I don't have any more lessons, I'll take other roads, Assimil first and Princeton second. Besides, while I MAY understand Pimsleur's approach of "don't transcribe! just listen and speak, reading and writing should come after learning a language, as for children", it conflicts with my need/desire to interact in Russian on internet or via e-mail, which needs correct ortography. And I'm not able to infer it from Pimsleur alone.   

My other "learning" activities are probably contrary to what our experts (and Pimsleur itself) suggest: mostly, about using a dictionary.

I tried to translate a long text about Maslenitsa, the Russian carnival, which моя подруга sent me. It was quite hard, having to check almost every word in the dictionary.

I also wrote to her my first composition, almost a hundred words, here too using the dictionary a lot. I tried to use correct cases and the correct form (?) of verb: that is, perfective or imperfective. Keep in mind that those first Pimsleur lessons teach nothing about verb types and just "в ресторане", "на Пушкинской улице" about cases. In this effort I found much help from my... Latin studies: the preposition + case combinations are quite similar. Instead, my Finnish didn't help at all, and I think it wouldn't have helped even if I had a formal knowledge of Finnish grammar - the only similarity being that both languages have cases.

I am happy that I understand some of what is written in "my internet places" without using online translation. It was a pleasure to read and understand something as simple as "Пранделли знает,что делает", because it didn't come from a textbook, but it was about something dear to me.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 14
20 March 2008 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Siberiano wrote:
I suggest using the normal Russian keyboard. It won't take long to get used to it, just practice. Once upon a time (at the age of 12-14) I knew Russian layout, but didn't know the English one, and I had no internet/forums/social networks. :)

On topic, buona fortuna col russo! Infatti sei fortunato essere l'italiano (o solo madrelingua?) perché imparare il russo é più facile proprio per gli Italiani fra tutti gli altri europei non slavi.

off topic: I'll tell another story. Getting used to a different layout isn't that hard. I had to do a more trickier thing once in my life. I used windows-1251 codepage to write and read koi-8 codepage. For example,

Добро пожаловать на мою домашнюю страницу! Здесь можно найти мои сочинения и переводы с итальянского и английского.

would look like this:
      дНАПН ОНФЮКНБЮРЭ МЮ ЛНЧ ДНЛЮЬМЧЧ ЯРПЮМХЖС! гДЕЯЭ ЛНФМН МЮИРХ ЛНХ ЯНВХМЕМХЪ Х ОЕПЕБНДШ Я ХРЮКЭЪМЯЙНЦН Х ЮМЦКХИЯЙНЦН.

In 1999 I could comprehend this text and even write it! The hosting provider hosted pages in koi-8 encoding (the latter). Using a decoder was too complicated and I couldn't make fast corrections. So I learned to read a write, writing the third layout with a pencil on my kbd. Gradually the pencil writings wore out, but I didn't write them again, because I already remembered where it was written.

Soon the hosting provider configured their server normally, and I abandoned this practice. :)
Hehe, cool! I can read Russian written yt d njq hfcrkflrt (in the wrong register), because a friend of mine REALLY often accidentally types in the English register... I'm often too curious about what she's written to wait until she types it in the correct register... and recently I've even started asking her not to "decode" to me what she has written :D

Edited by Serpent on 20 March 2008 at 7:13pm

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 6052 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 14 of 14
01 May 2008 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Update

I was going to post an update at the two months mark, but I started a TAC log instead. This thread will be abandoned for a while.

Anyway, I completed the 90 lessons of an older version of Pimsleur Russian. There would be too much to say about this program, and already many threads on it. Let me just say that it is a GOOD introduction to the language, from a pronunciation, intonation, sense of language and structure point of view. Now I have quite clear in my mind when the different cases are used, the tenses, most of the prepositions, even some about the aspect of the verb. But I still feel a beginner. Pimsleur is an introduction to the language, nothing more (and nothing less): it just requires more time, and less effort, than the first few chapters of a textbook.

I found the transcripts but didn't use them. Instead, I used a dictionary. Still I can't say for sure if a vowel is an а or an о, an и or an е or yet an ы. This particularly affects the endings.

Something I noted is the curious effect of my Italian. I tend to confuse the з (z) and с (s) sounds. If I pay attention, it's easy to hear the correct one and to pronounce that, but since they are both expressed by the same letter in Italian (rosa rossa, red rose, pronounced роза росса), I tend to overlook it. The worst was when I said to myself: "pay attention to those letters" and right after that heard the verb сделать. I clearly heard the z-sound. Then I checked the dictionary and it was an s! I thought I was going crazy!

(the explanation is simple: I knew about a voiced consonant becoming voiceless before a voiceless consonant or at the end of a word, but somehow forgot that it works the other way round too!)

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version