Diglot
Poland
Joined 6047 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC1
Studies: German, Japanese, French

Message 1 of 13
10 March 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I've decided to systematize my foreing language learning and put all the things in one place - that is, here.

French

I plan on concentrating on French for the next two weeks. I'm procrastinating with some relatively basic things that should have already been finished. These are:
- "l'art de conjuguer". learning by heart the "whole" coniugation and then practising with...
- "grammaire expliquee". it's an exercise book most of which I've already done. However, the Verb part lies untouched. I have to complete it and get down to the other things, like writing essays, reading texts to improve my vocabulary, etc.

Japanese
Well, that's a problem! I learn the language totally on my own and it's quite hard to keep motivated. Goals for the near future:
- Remembering the Kanji 1
- JLPT 3 list (from this site: http://www.manythings.org/japanese/jlpt/)
- Genki 1
and for not-so-near future:
- Japanese for Today
- various texts with the aid of Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate Japanese Grammar

German
- I've bought a really good review textbook, with explanations and exercises. Now all there is to do is to learn it! :) What's more, I want to make flashcards of the example sentences given in this book.
However, it's not a priority and I'll make it quite slowly I guess.

Spanish
Tomorrow I start Pimsleur Spanish, just to see if I like the language. Aiming for one lesson a day.

PS. From my profile you may notice that I study English as well. That's true, but as the level of this language in my school is quite high and doing schoolwork requires lots of effort (we have a rather strict teacher), I don't feel any need to expand my learning skills on my own. Highschool teaches me (almost) everything. I hope.

Edited by nicknamed on 10 March 2008 at 2:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

nicknamed
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6047 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 2 of 13
16 March 2008 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
after a week:

German
I started working with the grammar book and then read once more some texts from my handbook. And immediately, I've noticed structures that I've just learned! That was so pleasant, like "oh, I know why it's like that!".
I've tried out a learning method which is new for me: learning texts by heart. I've read about it in this forum. As I'm quite lazy, I don't bother to remember the whole text, but rather to end the sentences. I pay attention to grammar structures (adjectives endings) especially.
With this method, the vocabulary in the unit we're doing at school is a piece of cake. I've also underlined the nouns in red, blue or green (depending on the noun genre) and I found it quite an effective way to learn "der, die, das" effortlessly.

Spanish
Muchas gracias to the Pimsleur system inventor (Mr. Pimsleur?:). I'm at about lesson 9 and I feel that I can actually speak some of this beautiful language. Things are introduced slowly, but not irritatingly slowly - I really enjoy it.
I've learned also 10 words with the "word of a day" system from one Polish site. The site provides also example sentences with pronunciation, so that's one more thing to learn.
If my enthusiasm lasts longer, I'll try Platiquemos, but my priority is ending Pimsleur of course.

French
I'm quite proud of the writing assignment I've did today, hope my teacher will be proud too ;). Apart from this, I did some exercises in the grammar book, practiced coniugations, so it's quite satisfying. I think I'll end the book during Easter.

Japanese
eto... raishuu wa...
ok, that wasn't such a good week xD

Easter is approaching, so I think the next week will be quite fruitful. French, German, Japanese... this languages really need lots of attention. So demanding creatures they are! ;)

Edited by nicknamed on 16 March 2008 at 4:50pm

poziomka
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6058 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Hungarian

Message 3 of 13
17 March 2008 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
I'm glad I am not the only one tackling with ten thousand languages at a time :D Good luck with your studying!

nicknamed
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6047 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 4 of 13
23 March 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Hmm, I can manage three languages at a time, but four seems impossible. This week, German was the miserable fourth one. Nothing done. However...!

Spanish - continuing Pimsleur1 - lesson 18. QUESTION - when should I use "quanto" and when "quantos"? I thought that referring to a singular object, it's quanto ("quanto questa una cervesa" - whatever is the spelling) and "quantos" when it's plural, but some examples seem to deny this theory...

French - I'm quite satisfied with my progress, I guess I will be done with "grammaire expliquee" till deadline (which is next Monday). I made also a special notebook, based on the book, which contains all difficult points of it. I hope it will be a useful resource in the future if I forget something.

Japanese - learned a lot from Genki1: revised unit 4, made units 5 and (nearly) 6. I started working with A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar as well.

fcavalheiro
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 6039 days ago

54 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 5 of 13
23 March 2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
nicknamed, I could help you with cuánto and cuántos, could you please tell me what examples haven't you understand?

Best regards!

nicknamed
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6047 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 6 of 13
24 March 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the help!

the problem is that I undestand:
"cuánto cuesta una cerveza" and "cuántos pesos questa una cerveza"
but is it possible to say:
"cuántos cuesta una cerveza" in any situation? because I'm sure i've heard it...
why does the speaker assume that the answer will be plural ("2, 5, 30 dolares" and not "1 dolar")? i guess he's not just showing admiration for the beer! ;-)

fcavalheiro
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 6039 days ago

54 posts - 54 votes 

Message 7 of 13
24 March 2008 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Well, nicknamed, I'd say it's not possible to say "cuántos cuesta una cerveza" in any situation, at least I haven't ever heard anything like that before - though I do not speak Spanish that well, I've been learning it for a long time, and this sentence is also possible in Portuguese (it would be "Quanto custa uma cerveja?"), and this rule is the same for both languages. As long as I know, when you ask How much?, you always have to use the singular.

fcavalheiro
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 6039 days ago

54 posts - 54 votes 

Message 8 of 13
24 March 2008 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
The only other possibility would be, if the subject were plural, something like: "Cuánto cuestan las cervezas?", but not cuántos in any case.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version