Diglot
Poland
Joined 6047 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC1
Studies: German, Japanese, French

Message 9 of 13
30 March 2008 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
huh, I pondered over the thing, finally found the transcriptions of the lessons, and the conclusion is: two sentences before before the example I've given, "pesos" were actually mentioned. Probably the author just kept that in mind and adjusted grammar to it, making something like: "cuántos [pesos] cuesta" ? It was so confusing.

ok, so the progress in Spanish: I'm at lesson 24 of Pimsleur Spanish I (not a fast pace, I know), but the inability to read and write starts to get on my nerves. This week I will finish it but I don't plan on continuing with the next parts of the course. Such an introduction to Spanish language is sufficient for me, now I need to get down to work more seriously. Which means: Platiquemos!

Japanese: Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar is so useful... Apart from reading entries, I've started rewriting all the example sentences to Anki (a flashcard program) to revise them later. I'm just afraid that all the sentence patterns I learn will soon elude me, escape from me far far away...
Another "accomplishment" is the return to RtK. From 720 kanji i moved to 900. If I manage to keep it up, it's possible to finish before the schoolyear ends... That would be just perfect - half a year spent on learning kanji is just the right time. I feel it just SHOULDN'T last longer.
Btw, a month(:O!)-break, although horrible, gave me the energy to learn faster now ^^.

French: ok, let's say: a MILESTONE.
"grammaire expliquee du francais" (niveau debutant) est finie! let's dance! At last I've actually finished something, wow.

German: I was quite busy preparing for the vocabulary test (took place last Friday) and for the impending test in verbs (praesens-praeteritum-perfekt) and sentences with "bevor, nachdem, ehe" etc. You can't say I'm toiling, though ;).

I've found the tales of Andersen in seven languages. Reading some of them in French/German/English was so pleasant... The tales sound marvellous in any language, really.
1 person has voted this message useful

nicknamed
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6047 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 10 of 13
14 April 2008 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I haven't written anything for two weeks, just because there was too much schoolwork to do and I hardly had time to learn languages (let alone describing it). April is the most exhausting month in a schoolyear, they say in my sweet highschool. ad rem:

French: things are going on smoothly. My teacher decided to give me some more articles to read and I must say I prefer reading them to slogging through the handbook :D It's so satisfying, to read a real thing, original article and not some edited texts! I know the texts pretty well already but I wonder whether I shouldn't practice with them using Scriptorium.
and yes, exercises etc. oh, for this week, I plan on doing some past reading tests for my "matura" exam (an exam after highschool, the only benchmark in university recruitment).

Japanese: first week very well, the second - terrible. but I make SOME progress in RtK. And consider it a reason to be proud of :P

German: attempts to learn something by mich konzentrieren auf Schulpflichten, that is learning Irregular Verb Forms and a thing called dauntingly Attributsatze. Last test went great, my writing wasn't so laden with mistakes as I thought :)

Spanish: nothing really. these weeks weren't good weeks. and I'm afraid there'll be no good weeks until May.
May! rescue me and come faster.

Edited by nicknamed on 14 April 2008 at 3:50pm

nicknamed
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6047 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 11 of 13
19 April 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
I'm just a hopeless multilingual (:P) freak. Unable to concentrate on what I should do, starting new projects randomly and abandoning them even more randomly. Latest idea:
Latin!
Two days ago I leafed through my old handbook (I've done it at school long time ago, but only first 30 out of 60 lessons) and it somehow absorbed me. Today I'm already through first 15 lessons, keeping the pace of 5 lessons a day :D
Latin is a great language indeed, absolutely logic and linked with French (and English) very closely (which makes it no that difficult).

what about other languges? quite allright, except Spanish, completely left aside.

poziomka
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6058 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Hungarian

Message 12 of 13
19 April 2008 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
nicknamed wrote:
I'm just a hopeless multilingual (:P) freak. Unable to concentrate on what I should do, starting new projects randomly and abandoning them even more randomly.

:D I so totally understand that! Sometimes I get this idea of taking up learning yet another language but I'm already learning so many of them that: NO, a definite NO. At least not until I have some B2 certificate in Spanish.

But there are so many various languages waiting for me, waving at me, beckoning me... Damn ;D

Quote:
Latest idea:
Latin!

Wow. That is definitely one of the languages I would choose to learn only if that was to save my life. And even in that case I would hesitate a bit ;) I have pretty bad memories of one year of Latin at the University. I really liked learning vocabulary though, it helped me with Spanish a lot.

Good luck!

nicknamed
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6047 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 13 of 13
28 April 2008 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
OK, I've decided on what I should decided some time ago.
Quit all the languages except French and learn French really well.
I really don't have time or energy to learn everything at a time and I end up doing nothing at all, totally exhausted and demotivated. If I concentrate on one language instead of five, I may be able to do some considerable progress.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version