Diglot
Poland
Joined 6058 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Hungarian

Message 9 of 10
03 April 2008 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Spanish - I'm revising plenty of vocabulary from the basic course to strengthen the basis. I started Lesson 16 of the intermediate correspondence course. I got myself some books to read in Spanish, one that is a bit like a handbook ("La mar de palabras") as well as the first book of Harry Potter (I am not really that fond of HP but I figured that's the only text that is so widely available in many languages and that, at the same time, is written in a relatively easy language). I hope these books will improve my reading skills as well as provide me with good deal of vocabulary. Also, I've nearly completed the 3rd lesson of the Spanish 102 at livemocha. It serves as a nice revision.

Hungarian - I began Lesson 5 of "Teach Yourself" but not much else :(

German - I've completed the 5th chapter of the grammar book. I was reading aloud in German quite a lot too and I think I almost figured out how they pronounce "r" ;)
I also finished the first unit (which consists of 6 lessons) of German 101 at livemocha.

French - I did the second lesson in Assimil. I am quite slow with it but I prefer it that way. I play the audio about 3 times in a row before I attempt reading it out myself. And I repeat the procedure at least 3 times. This way most of the dialogue stays with me long after I finished working with it. Nice.
I find French rather difficult. These "word endings that are not pronounced" confuse me ;)

1 person has voted this message useful

poziomka
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6058 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Hungarian

Message 10 of 10
18 April 2008 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
Wow, it's been a long time.

Spanish - I should start Lesson 17 today. The main subject of it is dieting :P I revised plenty of vocabulary. I have a couple of new handbooks including a Polish what-looks-like-a-schoolcourse handbook "De pe a pa 1". It's for beginners but it's good to focus on something easy from time to time to start feeling better about what you already know :) Another book is "Gente 3", this one is more advanced but it's brimful of interesting vocabulary. I also have a new and extensive grammar book and I've already read through (and done a few exercises) of the first three chapters (about gender, articles and basic stuff of that sort).

Hungarian - Yay! I've begun the 7th chapter of "Teach Yourself". I put away the FSI course for a while because I need a regular every-day access to the computer to get the most of it and such comfortable access is something I do not have. I'm sure I'll come back to it though as I found it really effective and I still remember many expressions from the first two lessons I did although I haven't touched them in quite a while. I also have a new book ;) It's an old handbook for Poles written by a Pole, and it's the only handbook of Hungarian in Polish that exists apart from the Polish adaptation of the "Teach Yourself". What I like about it is that it has a very detailed guide to Hungarian Pronunciation. I did the first two lessons of it. I learned a lot of vocab too.

German - It looks like the wave of enthusiasm I had for it has subsided ;) I'm on the 9th chapter of the grammar book. I also have 50% of livemocha's 101 level completed. But then that would be it.

French - I'm starting to like it more and more. I haven't touched yet the "French in a month" course that I bought some time ago but I already did the first 4 lessons of another rather old handbook of French for Poles. I do not have audio for it unfortunately :( but at least the phonetic transcription of the short "reading texts" is pretty good. I have also finished the 3rd lesson of Assimil. I have been repeating the first three Assimil lessons for so long that I swear I must know all the dialogues by heart now. But I guess that is the goal of the Assimil method? Anyway, I've really taken to French lately and the "unpronounced word endings" do not confuse me that much anymore :)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version