Germany
Joined 6028 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 6
31 March 2008 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
I've been posting in the wrong places. How embarrassing! (Sheetz: ごめんなさい!! 私が間違っている。) I really apologize. I guess that's a Newbie for ya. I'm learning :o)

I'd like to welcome anyone to comment on what I have here. Question: I'd like to practice writing but I'm such a beginner, I don't think I can keep up in the Multilingual Lounge. Can I do it here or create a Beg. Japan. in M.Lounge?

My Level Check:
I took a JLPT Level 4 practice. Result: less than 70 percent. I can't be sure of my exact score since the explanation of the scoring was in japanese :-D. Serious gaps in my basic grammar. Solution: more vocabulary, check on other sources for grammar.

My Learning Series: Weeeell, with Japanese for Busy People 2 I advance really slowly. (Damn.) Solution: short-dialogue practice.

My Kanji: I've stopped halfway through Heisig Vol. 1 Course and use it purely as a reference for kanji I learn from JLPT Level 3 vocab lists/ JFBP 2. This kind of cross-reference takes time, but it allows me to still use Heisig's meanings for kanji and learn the Japanese readings at the same time. Ex: 町 【まち】 Heisig: street, rice field.

My Recreation: Writing in Japanese! I think it could help with my reading comprehension to read other posts in Japanese and possibly respond. Maybe I could do some practice dialogues. I have to see how that develops.

My Listening: AZU MANGA DAIOH is cute. Also: Hail, Miyazaki.

JLPT 3 in December?? がんばります!!

Edited by Sunja on 31 March 2008 at 4:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6028 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 2 of 6
02 April 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
I've gotten through a chapter of JFBP. Looking for extra reading material is daunting. "Breaking Into Japanese Literature" is still full of unrecognizable constructions. Irritating, actually. The site said the book was for beginners. The only thing I can do is write my own dialogues using vocabulary I've learned. It's working quite well. My compositions are nothing more than talking about location of places; describing people, things; or talking about going somewhere. And for my kanji recognition, the computer automatically supplies me the kanji when I type the kana version. Ain't it cool? Saves me time. However: too much time spent on the computer takes away from study time, but I figure the novelty of writing JP will wear off soon enough.

I found myself dreaming in Japanese this morning. Probably the result of fever. This ***** cold.    

I shadowed some verb conjugations today, and some dialogues from the MLC Language site.

When I finish my book I get to go on Palabea ^^.

Edited by Sunja on 02 April 2008 at 3:38pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6028 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 3 of 6
14 April 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Is it already the middle of the month? I feel I haven't accomplished much since I started this log. I've slowed down doing the writing exercises. I've managed another chapter in JFBP and that's what counts. I'm keeping up with the workbook exercises.

My goals seem so far away today. I try to keep at it. It's been a long time since I've drilled any kanji. I have to keep up.

I got Skype today and I ordered a headset. I spent the whole late afternoon trying to figure out why I wasn't getting a connection and finally identified it as a firewall problem. (Who knew?) It took so much time away from my Japanese studies. Oh well. I decided on Skype for now since so many people in this forum use it. If I get up enough nerve I'll practice some Japanese conversation. It's hard to keep the language in my head so that I feel comfortable putting two words together. Good news. Printer working again. I can print out more stuff to read.

Edited by Sunja on 14 April 2008 at 2:11pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6028 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 4 of 6
17 April 2008 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Alas, Skype will have to wait. Having hardware compatibility problems. I don't see it as any real study but it is a way for me to start using the language. I'm just burning to speak it, but I have to speak to myself until I can get Skype up and running.

I'm not able to commit 8 hours a day like ryuukohito, but reading his log has inspired me to push myself.

My optimal study time is when I get up, so yesterday I sat down at 5:00 am and started working on grammar. I left the house at 7:40 with a stack of audio for the car. I got back at 9:00 and started going over previous reading material. Then I had to deal with interruptions throughout the day. It's frustrating, so I'm trying to develope methods where I can learn on the go. I hang lists of vocabulary words up everywhere. If I'm standing in line at the grocery without a stack of kanji cards I feel naked. I'm going to make more of an effort with the writings. That seems to be the next best thing to conversation, which is what I really want. I'm going to get started on them right now.

Edited by Sunja on 17 April 2008 at 8:00am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6028 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 5 of 6
19 April 2008 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I went through half of my 284 kanji cards and there associated "compounds". I'll finish the rest tomorrow. Or after a few hours of sleep, seeing how it's alread 1:30 am. I finished Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit. I listened to the text and tried to speak simutaneously, then I read the text outloud and copied it onto a sheet of paper. The unfamiliar words I went back and listened to and copied/repeated those as well. It took me over an hour just to digest Peter, but I'm anxious to continue on.

It's not as good as pacing or walking, but since I find myself busy with something mundane like say, doing dishes, I keep a list of words in front of me and sound them outloud (very slowly) and focus on as many verb declinations as I can. Then I try to develope a visual picture of the kanji.

I've been doing a lot of "research" in this website lately.    

Edited by Sunja on 19 April 2008 at 7:19pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6028 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 6 of 6
24 April 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I've been working with a new book, シャド-- イグ Let's Speak in Japanese!.

So far I've only listened to it and tried to repeat some phrases. Unit 1 is pretty easy. I really like it for it's intonation. For example, "Is that O.K.?" in Japanese is something I have to practice with a native speaker. That's something I can't get through reading!

I need to keep reading but this week is impossible to digest any more audio books, so I'm concentrating on my cards and the new book.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version