United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 38
27 September 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks S4Real. I probably should use the MT advanced review with Platiquemos. I did go through them before I started Platiquemos, but I'm not crazy about his method. I'll give it another try. It may be helpful.

In speaking with native Spanish speakers, I find that I can communicate fairly well. I don't respond as quickly as I would like sometimes, because I have to digest either what they have said to me first or formulate what I'm going to say in my head first before saying it. My comprehension isn't where I'd like it to be, but I think I have improved alot. I'm hoping that after I'm 2/3 through with Platiquemos, I'll be closer.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it a try.

1 person has voted this message useful

angie_CA
United States
Joined 6221 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 10 of 38
03 October 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Hey,

I used the Michel Thomas programme. I found it pretty good to learn the basics and learn at my own speed, but really the best way to learn a language is to study in the country.

I am back in California after an awesome summer on a road trp around Spain. I am writing a blog and want everyone to see my photos. And will post the travel story soon. I also did a language course, it was great fun with studytravel.com in Valencia. Simply one awesome summer.

See you later

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 11 of 38
23 October 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
Well, I lost my motivation for a little while, but it's back. I've spent about 2.5 hours on lesson 23 and tested at 93%. I found lesson 22 and 23 not very difficult. One thing I did different this time was to type the responses in the substitution and variation drills before going through the audio. These drills usually give me the most trouble. I found that it really helped. Somehow the act of typing or writing it down makes it stick longer in my brain.

Weaknesses: I'm still having difficulty with the past tenses. They don't flow easily at all. In looking back at units 18 and 19 (past I and II in the same construction) and (past II imperfect), my scores were much lower after more hours of study (92% after over 6 hours). I'm thinking about going back for review, but am not very excited about it.

Hopefully I'll be near fluency at the end. I'm not quite at the half way point but feel like I've learned alot about the structure of the languange so far. I find that in listening to native speakers, I only understand less than 50% in some cases and am wondering if this is normal for where I am at this point. My reading skills are pretty good though, and I can usually understand about 80% of what I read. At this pace, I hope to finish Platiquemos by March.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 12 of 38
29 October 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
On to unit 24, reflexive clitic pronouns. I must admit the idea of reflexive verbs seems strange to me as an english speaker. I'm glad to see this unit deals with drills with acostarse and levantarse, as they were only briefly covered previously. I understand the construction of reflexive clitics, but it doesn't come easily during the drills. I can only hope this gets better with repetition. I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow for Las Vegas, so I'll take a break from Platiquemos with the exception of travel time.

Optimistamente, puedo aprender esta lección sin mucha dificultad. Hasta más tarde.   

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 13 of 38
06 November 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Wow, unit 24 is very difficult. It's almost as difficult as unit 17.

Difficulties: reflexive verbs in the present tense

Question: How often is me hace falta used vs. necesito?

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6958 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 38
07 November 2007 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
SunnyDD wrote:
Question: How often is me hace falta used vs. necesito?

I think that it depends on the person. I tend to use either in roughly equal amounts.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 15 of 38
15 November 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
I just finished the very short unit 25. The basic sentences portion came very easily, but I was surprised how long it took me to master the rest of the lesson considering it's length. I'm hoping that reflexive and indirect clitic pronouns are difficult for most english speakers, because they seem so strange to me. On to unit 26 with reflexive and direct clitic pronouns. The construction is slighly different, so I'm hoping I don't confuse the two.

Hasta luego.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 16 of 38
11 December 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
Well, I finally finished lesson 27 which deals with the command tense. The lesson was not very difficult, but it took some time to go through it. It was quite long.

I think I need to find an alternate source to motivate me with my goal to learn Spanish. I'm finding it harder and harder to get motivated with Platiquemos. I'm not seeing myself progress as fast as I would like, the drills are tedious, and I'm starting to wonder if all this work will really pay off. Maybe I will look into LSLC. I'm open to any suggestions. Muchas gracias.

Hasta luego.

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version