United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: Spanish

Message 26 of 38
22 January 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Acabo de terminar la unidad 34. Esta unidad no me parecía muy difícil, aunque el vocabulario en la primera parte era más difícil. La semana que viene voy a completar dos unidades. Yo creo que empiezo entender más y más cuando oigo la gente habla. Pero, todavía no se muchas palabras. Pero, por lo menos, puedo ver un adelanto. El programa, "Platiquemos", es muy intenso. Para esta razón, no he tenido mucho tiempo que estudiar con otras técnicas.

Bueno, voy a ir a trabajar. Voy a escribir mas tarde cuando he terminado la próxima lección.

1 person has voted this message useful

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 27 of 38
24 January 2008 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
I spent roughly 10 hours on unit 35. The unit was not long, in fact they are getting shorter. I assume this is because the reading material is getting longer. I generally read through all the material but only answer the questions on the first. They introduce a lot of vocabulary in the readings, but I find it doesn't stick very well unless repeated frequently.

This unit deals with nominalization of articles, fortunately not a difficult grammar subject to understand. It also deals with the verbs llevar and tomar and salir and dejar. Salir and dejar are generally not a problem for me, but the llevar and tomar and when to use which one are still a little confusing. I have finally learned the past tenses without hesitation. I remember struggling with them when they were introduced. The conversation stimulus deals with phrases containing "habia salido" and "no la habia oido". They have been introduced in some of the earlier unit dialogs, but to this point no drills. So they came a little slow. I'm hoping this is covered further in a later unit.

On to unit 36. Nos vemos.

raufoss50
United States
Joined 6135 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 28 of 38
26 January 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
SunnyDD, I can't wait to get as far as you have in Platiquemos. It looks like you are making good progress. Keep it up!

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 29 of 38
30 January 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Muchas gracias Raufoss y buena suerte.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 30 of 38
30 January 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Acabo de terminar unidad 36.

This unit deals with subjunctives. In itself, it's not a difficult grammar concept. The trouble I'm having is confusing it with the imperative as they are similar moods. The reading was quite long and introduced new vocabulary and phrases. I spent approximately 8 1/2 hours on this unit and tested myself at 92%. Now, it's on to unit 37 and Level 6.

Hasta luego.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 31 of 38
06 February 2008 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Acabo de terminar unidades 37 y 38.

Both units were short, but unit 38 came easier. The basic sentences in unti 38 introduced very little new vocabulary. Both units dealt with forms of the subjunctive mood. The readings are increasingly becoming more difficult with each lesson. This is particulary true when the subject material is not very interesting.

Looking ahead to unit 39, it deals with derivational suffixes. I feel my Spanish is getting better, but I still struggle to understand everyday conversation in muted tones.

I don't know what level I will be at when I complete Platiquemos, but I'm hoping it's enough to understand spoken Spanish better. My reading skills have improved dramatically, and I find that I can communicate clearly and be understood.

Most of the other courses out there are not advanced enough for the level I am at, but I'm not sure how to get to the next level after completing the course. Of course, I'm not sure where I'll be then either.

Bueno, hasta luego.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 32 of 38
20 February 2008 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Finally, I finished units 39 and 40. I was slowed down a bit by having the flu last week. Lesson 39 deals with adding suffixes to words like carisimo y casita y tambien exactamente y realamente. Not particulary difficult but a mouthful of syllables made it challenging.

Unit 40 was more subjunctive stuff. The most difficult part of the subjunctive mood is knowing when to use it. It seems there are so many rules, it's hard to keep it all straight. This unit dealt specifically with using a indefinite noun followed by a verb in a separate clause which must be subjunctive. I'm hoping that eventually I won't have to think before writing or saying it correctly and spontaneously, but I suspect that is a future time.

I was glad to read elsewhere in this forum that it is normal to have difficulty picking up conversation that is not directly spoken to you. If I am speaking with someone directly, I can understand and speak pretty well. I have difficulty in understanding native people speak with each other. There must be some part of the human brain that makes the indirect speech difficult to comprehend until when I don't know.

Anyway, it's on to unit 41. I'm trying to keep up my pace of 2 per week, but last week I only did 1. Hopefully, I can get through the next unit in the next 2.5 days. I'm also supplementing Platiquemos with Notes in Spanish. It's a nice change from the repetitive drills.

Bueno, hasta luego....

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version