levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: Spanish

Message 33 of 38
25 February 2008 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Acabo de terminar unidad 41.

This was one of the more difficult units for me. It dealt with present subjunctives used in obligatory clauses in phrases such as:

en caso de
a fin de que
antes de
con tal que
a menos que
sin que

It took me over 10 hours to test at only 91% including the reading. For some reason, my mouth had difficulty with some of the above phrases. A mumbled response was the result at first. The conversation stimulus was also rather difficult.

So for now, I have moved on to unit 42. Jose Molina must have lost his job as a teacher, because now he is the barber. Actually, his voice is very clear and easy to follow. That's not the case with Jean Harris, who I believe has a Castilian Spanish accent. I already have some questions on unit 42, so I'm sure I'll probably have to post in the self study question in this forum. Many thanks to all who have helped so far. It's made a huge difference.

Bueno, tengo que volver a trabajar. Hasta luego.

1 person has voted this message useful

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 34 of 38
01 March 2008 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Acobo de terminar unidad 42.

This unit had some challenging vocabulary, but it wasn't as difficult as the last one. The grammar drills focused around subjunctives in conditional clauses. I spent approximately 7 hours and tested at 94%. The conversation stimulus was missing chunks of the audio, so I didn't use it.

Now the challenge is that my schedule changes radically on Monday with my new job, and I have to find more time to get through the rest of Platiquemos. I had been getting through 1 1/2 - 2 units per week, and I don't see how I'll be able to keep up that pace. I'll have to start spending more time at home in the evenings and on the weekends. It's not like Pimsluer where you can spend 1/2 day per day. Each unit takes me on the average 8 hours.

Anyway, since I have completed unit 42 and Level 6, I'm going to take some time to review some of the units I found more difficult and try to find a schedule that will work for me. I'm planning a visit to Costa Rica in the summer to test my Spanish skills, and I have to be finished with Platiquemos before then.

Hasta luego.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6837 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 38
01 March 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
SunnyDD wrote:
Acobo de terminar unidad 42.

Yes, in English you wouldn't use "the" before "unit 42", but in Spanish the "la" is necessary. And the error in "acabo" is just a key slip I suppose.

Acabo de terminar la unidad 42.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 36 of 38
02 March 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Yes, thank you it was a typo, and thanks for clarifying the necessity of the pronoun.

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 7027 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 37 of 38
09 March 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Your Spanish progress is really amazing! I hope you don't mind a few corrections (but these are small--I'm really amazed by the progress you've made!):

Acabo de terminar la unidad 34. Esta unidad no me parecía (pareció) muy difícil, aunque el vocabulario en la primera parte era más difícil. La semana que viene voy a completar dos unidades. Yo creo que empiezo a entender más y más cuando oigo que la gente habla. Pero, todavía no se () muchas palabras. Pero, por lo menos, puedo ver un adelanto. El programa, "Platiquemos", es muy intenso. Para (Por) esta razón, no he tenido mucho tiempo que estudiar con otras técnicas.

Bueno, voy a ir a trabajar. Voy a escribir mas tarde cuando he (haya) terminado la próxima lección.

I would use pareció instead of parecía because it is a completed action. You have finished the lesson and you are describing your reaction to it.

Empezar cannot be followed directly by an infinitive--you need an "a" in there: empiezo A trabajar, empieza A comer, etc.

Sé (I know) has an accent on the "e".

"Oigo la gente habla". You can't just say "Oigo la gente habla." I'm not sure how best to translate "hear the people talk" though. Ideas from anyone else?

When talking about cause, you always you "por" and not "para". "No puedo ir a trabajar hoy por la lluvia." (I can't go to work today because of the rain.) You can see this in "Por qué" as well--"What cause?" or "Why?"--as opposed to "Para que"--"For what purpose?". In your sentence, "for this reason" should be translated as "por esta razón."

"Cuando he terminado..." You may not have learned this yet, but because it is unsure that you will finish the lesson--you may be interrupted, lose interest, etc.--you cannot say "Cuando he terminado" in the indicative. You must use the subjunctive to express doubt or a future action: Cuando haya terminado. (Haya is the present subjunctive of "he").

Great job! Keep up the good work.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 

Message 38 of 38
30 March 2008 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Gracias por la ayuda Alex.

It's time to start back on Platiquemos. I spent the last 4 weeks reviewing and watching Spanish tv at the gym. This week, I plan to get through unit 43.

Hasta luego.....

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version