Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
CashMoney22
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 1 of 5
11 December 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
I wrote a post about two months ago asking about whether I should learn Mandarin or Japanese as my second language to French. I decided on Mandarin, and after doing a ton of research and reading (a lot on this site actually), I decided on the following plan. I will first review where I am in the process and then explain where I am going:

1. I purchased the Pimsleur Mandarin I tapes from Amazon.com. I am going slow, so I am only on the 12th disc. I love the practice with tones and understanding native speakers.

2. I purchased RTK (I know its for Japanese, but I wanted to learn the model and understand all the hype so to speak). I am up to character 900 in this book, and I do about 10-20 kanjis per day. That said, I simply can't wait until RTH comes out. I will be all over that. I know it's not Hanzi, but I enjoy it anyway. Hopefully there will be SOME carryover to RTH. If not, I still enjoy practicing the method and writing the beautiful characters.

3. I borrowed RS Mandarin from the library and I am going to start that up next week.

4. I downloaded all the FSI material for Mandarin from the web. I am still thinking about working that material into my routine.

My routine:

1-2 hours per day, one day off per week
30 mins on pimsleur
30 mins on RTK (hopefully soon RTH)
30 mins on RS
15-30 mins on FSI if I have time.

I also have some interest in utlizing an SRS because everyone seems to like them for long-term memory. I may start importing stuff from RS into an SRS along with phrases I am learning from Pimsleur.

(I know this is the expensive option, but I like the linear progression it gives me)

Edited by CashMoney22 on 11 December 2007 at 2:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

CashMoney22
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 2 of 5
18 March 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
I doubt anyone read this, but I have in fact kept up with my plan of study.

I alternate between RS and Pimsleur, both of which are excellent tools.

I used the Kanji book to familiarize myself with the characters, and as a result, RS is much easier to understand when I'm in character mode.

Once I'm done with Pimsleur, I'm going to move onto round 2

This is very addictive stuff!

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
18 March 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Great job! I look forward to reading your posts in the future!

Marj
United States
Joined 6509 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 4 of 5
18 March 2008 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Good job on keeping to your plan of study. It's not easy to do.
What do you plan to do for round 2? Are you continuing with Pimsleur II and III?
Looking forward to reading about your progress!!

CashMoney22
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 5 of 5
27 March 2008 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I plan on getting my hands on Pimsleur 2 and 3, but maybe this time I'll find a library.

From here on out, my hope is to continue RS, Pimsluer, and hopefully go to China for some practice.

I hear Assimil is good (on this forum) along with some of the other lesser-known texts...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version