shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6971 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 1 of 17
17 January 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
I just uploaded a sound file of me reading off a short paragraph of Le Petit Prince. I would like people to point out the mistakes I made and possible corrections, minor or major.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/sounds/index.asp?sound= 237

The biggest problem of all is that overall the accent is really funny, not native at all. Taiwanese? Probably, though I don't know if a Taiwanese French accent has ever been described. I'm looking forward to corrections and guidances in pronunciation in general - the nasals, the Rs, the EUs, the prosody...anything!

I would appreciate your help very much, as I know it is important to establish a decent accent right from the outset, and I just hope that it's not too late. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

epingchris
Triglot
Taiwan
shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6971 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds

Message 2 of 17
20 January 2008 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Uuh...anyone?

I'll perhaps start with some of the problems that I realized.

1. My "é"s aren't close enough and thus sound similar to "è".

2. My "ô"s aren't close enough and thus sound similar to "o".

3. My "t"s still sound too much like in English.

Any opinions or suggestions would be welcomed.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 17
20 January 2008 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
I don't know how long you have studied French, but apart from that I heard something else than "région" I think it was pretty good. That is, I can hear that you're not a native, but it sounds like French. I have heard thicker accents than yours from people in my class (over a decade ago). However, I'm not qualified to say what you should do to improve the things you're not content with.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 17
20 January 2008 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Your accent is really good; it's hard to find anything to improve. I think most of your accent stems from not being "soft-spoken". That is, your stress and your /t/ sounds too strong for me and you might want to pronounce the nasals longer. Especially in "donc" you don't seem to pronounce the nasal o at all...

Also keep in mind that French has BOTH an open O and a closed O sound. The open O sound should appear in "desolé" for example, whereas the closed O appears in "radeau".

Do you know IPA? It may help you add the finishing touches to your French pronunciation, as IPA was created with French in mind. Read what I wrote in the IPA thread.

You may also want to practice with the short film http://www.dotsub.com/films/lhommequi/index.php . Set it to French subtitles and listen. The reader is a native French speaker with a real talent in reading this story; plus he speaks slowly most of the time. Imitate him.

EDIT: if you want to learn IPA for French, I just found some of my course materials and I could teach you in a Skype session.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 21 January 2008 at 2:07pm

epingchris
Triglot
Taiwan
shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6971 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds

Message 5 of 17
23 January 2008 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Thanks, both of you, for the encouragement and suggestions.

To jeff_lindqvist: I think I mistyped. It should have been "terre" instead of "région". lol

To Sprachprofi:

Yeah, I did realize the "o" problem later on. I think it is something I'll have to constantly keep in mind and work on; those two would merge into one when I'm not paying attention.

I didn't quite understand what I should do for the nasals though. Are you saying I should lengthen them, or pause after them?

The video looks interesting, the only minor drawback being that the man's voice is so vastly different from mine, I don't know if it would disturb me from imitating him......I have the audio version of "Le Petit Prince" right now and it's really good, but lots of time it speaks pretty fast.

I have been practicing my pronunciation using IPA as an aid from the start, but I don't think I could advance further with it if I don't see the fully detailed transcription, with all the diacritics. I'm interested in your proposal, and in a matter of weeks, after I'm done with my present preoccupation (passing a big test), we can see how to make it work out.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 17
24 January 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
I think you need to lengthen the nasals, let them take up more time, don't brush through them. As for open/closed O, IPA can tell you which one is correct.

My Skype name is RealJunesun, send me a message there when you have time. Or best e-mail me first, because I'm online a lot but not much on Skype.

I don't feel like making a recording right now, but maybe when we're talking you can tell me what part of my Mandarin accent needs improving the most.

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6591 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 17
29 January 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by tmesis on 17 February 2008 at 2:06pm

rodYon
Pentaglot
Croatia
Joined 6091 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Serbian, Croatian*, Latin, French, English
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 17
29 January 2008 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I think most of your accent stems from not being "soft-spoken"

yes.
i have an impression that all of the sounds "rested in your mouth", you should move your point of articulation more towards the lips, and soften the "u" (f.ex. "une", "plus", "sur", "surprise"), but other than that it's very good. for a beginner, that is. keep up the good work. other than pronounciation guides, why not watch a movie with a transcript or with good subtitles in french.

Quote:
Especially in "donc" you don't seem to pronounce the nasal o at all...

hm. i wouldn't agree completely. maybe i would if there was more than just one nasal o in the text- because donc in "donc encore" is slightly denasalised by obligatory liason (encore commencing with a vowel), and if you pay attention, you can clearly hear that he heard that in the text and repeated it properly, all of his other words and word combinations don't have such an intonation.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version