Joined 6971 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 9 of 17
30 January 2008 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
tmesis wrote:
Do you have access to Barron's Pronounce it Perfectly?

You mean this which costs $21.99? You've got to be kidding me...... :) Well, I suppose it depends on the version you're looking for since this one is $14.95. Still, I'm not yet comfortable with purchasing online, especially on an overseas website. I'll have a look on it.

tmesis wrote:
Another great resource is French in Action

It's DVD, right? What's in it primarily?

rodYon wrote:
have an impression that all of the sounds "rested in your mouth", you should move your point of articulation more towards the lips, and soften the "u" (f.ex. "une", "plus", "sur", "surprise")

Can you explain a little more? Because I'm not sure if I can move my "R" more toward the lips......

In the meantime, I'll keep imitating native speakers with whatever resources I can find.
1 person has voted this message useful

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6591 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 17
30 January 2008 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by tmesis on 17 February 2008 at 2:02pm

rodYon
Pentaglot
Croatia
Joined 6091 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Serbian, Croatian*, Latin, French, English
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 17
13 February 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Can you explain a little more? Because I'm not sure if I can move my "R" more toward the lips

of course you will not do that with your Rs.. the thing is (native speakers please feel free to comment) that cheek and lip muscles should be (more) tightened when speaking french. we were practicing by repeating "mala maca" (which means "a little cat" in croatian); you know how people change the way they sound and pronounce when talking to a baby (who's a cute baby? who's a cute baby? yeees, you are a cute baby, yes you are, yes you are- to take an example commonly heard in films) or to a cat, dog, or whatever.. that puts the facial muscles in the right position for articulating french. here, i'll read the same thing as you did, what differences do you hear?

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/sounds/index.asp?sound= 244

Edited by rodYon on 13 February 2008 at 8:56am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 12 of 17
13 February 2008 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I just released a short video teaching the IPA (international phonetic alphabet) symbols necessary for French. I am sure that if you learn how to read and write them, you can improve your French pronunciation, because your senses will be on the watch-out for subtle differences in pronunciation. Have a look if you like: either find it streamed at http://www.lingorilla.com/index.php?module=records (video called "IPA for French) or download it from my temporary server at http://www.learnlangs.com/temp/IPA_French.avi .

Edited by Sprachprofi on 13 February 2008 at 10:19am

rodYon
Pentaglot
Croatia
Joined 6091 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Serbian, Croatian*, Latin, French, English
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 17
13 February 2008 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
very nice, but there are 2 mistakes- immeuble is [imœbl], there aren't any nasals here. what is more interesting, the speaker pronounced a nasal, which is, according to standard french, wrong. is it a dialect or what? en plus, there is clearly written in th end that double m/n denasalises the sound..
second mistake- transcript at the end- Pour appliquer ce que vous avez appris, ecrivez beaucoup de textes en francais translittéré et faites attention aux sons (sorry for missing accent symbols)- there is the symbol for nasal e preceding the word francais, which is wrong as it should be a symbol for nasal a. also, i'm not so sure that there is necesarry to transcribe the "e caduc" in "textes", as it is "devoured" by the following nasal, and you have a semi-obligatory liaison- so it should be [tekstzãfransE].
ah, yes- "this might be written as one string of letters without spaces, since French usually doesn't pause between words"- i think that my former french phonetics professor would have a nervous breakdown if i had written it like that :)). it should be separated by |, after each natural pause, and sentence ending with ||.
- [puRaplike|s@k@vuzaveapRi|ekRivebokutekstzãfRãsEtRãslitERe|e|fEtatãsjõosõ||]
here i noticed another mistake- beaucoup de textes. de isn't represented by a d and an "e caduc", but with a t, because it is between consonants and it has an "e caduc", and that makes a t.

Edited by rodYon on 13 February 2008 at 3:22pm

FlorentT
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6263 days ago

119 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: Portuguese, Flemish, German, Hindi

Message 14 of 17
15 February 2008 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Great video! I'll certainly recommend it to my friends who learn French. Two quick remarks on top of the ones above (I confirm I have never heard a nasal sound in immeuble in any French-speaking country or French region, but some older people do pronounce année with an initial nasal sound though):

* You are saying that "in most regions of France" the distinction between the sounds in "vin" and "brun" is disappearing. That's the right approach to teach people, but that is even I believe an understatement. I believe only some regions makes this distinction now (around Toulouse for example). I certainly don't make it myself when speaking normally, even though I am forcing myself to please my grandmother sometimes 8^)
* Small error: you are writing "guèpe" whereas it should be "guêpe"

But overall, many thanks.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 15 of 17
15 February 2008 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the feedback.

As for "vin" / "brun" - I believe that while the "brun" sound is disappearing in France, it is still very alive in Québec and other parts of the Francophonie, as well as French classes for foreigners.

FlorentT
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6263 days ago

119 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: Portuguese, Flemish, German, Hindi

Message 16 of 17
15 February 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
You are right. Belgium is another example.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version