angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6561 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 1 of 2
27 February 2008 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
I've already decided on the next goal for my Korean learning. Last year at a Gyeongu bookstore, I bought a book containing pictures along with old Korean proverbs. It's called 전비 당사주요남. There's no direct English translation for the title but it has something to do with 4 pillars.

In each proverb, there's a picture at the top of the page, several short columns of Chinese characters, and below each column, a sentence with the Korean hangeul. Several Koreans told me that it would be a hard text, but I think it looks very interesting and am not deterred by the difficulty factor. My goal is to get through every proverb in this book. I estimate that it will take 2 or 3 months but I am determined.
1 person has voted this message useful

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6561 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 2 of 2
20 March 2008 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
A few days ago, I decided to abandon this particular text since it was too hard, and not useful enough to justify the effort. One of the main problems with the yellow book was that there were expressions not found in the dictionary. The second problem was that some of the characters were variant characters that rarely get used. After I get fluent with Korean, I will give the yellow superstition book another attempt.

For now, I'll be reading Exploring Korean, which is a book for conversation topics in Korean. I have already read some of the articles from the book with some other people who were studying Korean. Hopefully, after I finish this book, I'll be able to tackle Korean newspapers.

Edited by skeeterses on 20 March 2008 at 6:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version