United States
Joined 6602 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 3
10 March 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Well, I burned out on Spanish...
Oh, well, I'll take a break from that for a while and come back to it later. In the mean time, I'll go back to German using FSI.

Previous Experience
Two years of High School German from a pretty good teacher that ended last May when I graduated.

Goal
Get though all of FSI German by going though each unit, spending three days on each of them and hopefully having a better understanding of the language. This will also help me to develop a study system for when I return to Spanish and use Platiquemos (after buying it, of course). I also hope to help a friend of mine who also wants to learn German.

Day 1: 3/10/2008
Went through two thirds of Unit 1 and ran out of time. Now I have to go to work. More later.

Edited by AndrewL on 22 March 2008 at 5:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

AndrewL
United States
Joined 6602 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes

Message 2 of 3
12 March 2008 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Days 2 and 3: 3/11 to 3/12
Well, yesterday I finished the final drill in Unit 1 and went over the translation drill once. Also, on day 1, I was able to go over the variation drills again in my head and I did this again on day 2.
I also just noticed that the tapes for Unit 1 are handily organized so that the dialog was on tape 1, the pronunciation drills and substitution drills were on tape 2, and finally the variation drills are on tape 3. For some reason I didn't notice this when I was going through FSI Spanish. Of course with FSI Spanish I didn't use the book for it. Hopefully Platiquemos will have this sort of organization.
Well, tonight, after getting off the computer, I'll hopefully be able to go through the drills again as well as listen to some German pop music (which reminds me, I need to find the lyrics for those songs).

AndrewL
United States
Joined 6602 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes

Message 3 of 3
13 March 2008 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Day 4: 3/13
Well, I went though most of Unit 2 for the first time today and well I have to say that variation drills and substitution drills can be a pain to go though for the first time, thus the reason to go though each unit multiple times. There also seems to be numerous vocabulary words that I was never taught in school, which is nice since it puts Mnemosyne to good use. I didn't do the vocabulary drills though, they will be done tomorrow though. I need to not push myself too hard mainly because of what it did to my enjoyment of study Spanish, thus causing burnout, and also because the purpose of my study of German at this point is to get used to more structured studying and to manage it so that I won't suffer from burnout so easily.
Well, as far as the lessons go, I think the vocabulary list at the end of each unit is excellent. Loquella didn't have anything like this and FSI Spanish merely had their own (retarded) phonetic translation "so that the student who doesn't know the Spanish spelling system can find any word they need" (near quote) which makes no sense whatsoever since the Spanish spelling system is far easier to master than say French (which from what I heard doesn't have a "phonetic transcription" in its version of FSI) or even German. Also, the vocabulary list appears only at the end of each level of Spanish, which can be inconvenient for entering new words into *insert flashcard program here* gradually. I also found the lessons on Phonetics and Verbs to be extremely helpful (definitely something that you can't get from a classroom). Hehe.
Well, I hope that tomorrow will bring better understanding of the grammar as well as better habits as far as speaking the language and as far as studying FSI. (Unfortunately I have to work, but not until 4:30pm :))
Until then, Auf Wiedersehen!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version