Rekunoto
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
18 March 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
As a few of you hardcore HTLAL addicts may know, I started a language learning journal quite awhile ago. I only stuck to the plan for a day or two, and then I started doing random language learning drills. I got up to 350 on heisig (for the third time!), but then spring break came, and I didn't have access to my SRS, so I pretty much dropped kanji for 5+ days.

I really didn't enjoy RTK, so I am going back to old school rote memorization. My goal is to have all 1945 joyo kanji, their readings, and the English meaning memorized in six months.

This is my basic plan concering kanji. I am going to copy and paste joyo kanji from a list like this, into a dictiionary like this.

After finding the character's on/kun readings, and it's English meaning, I will insert it into my SRS. This is an example card in my SRS.

Question

Answer
Meaning: Flower
On reading: カ、 ケ
Kun reading: はな

Before starting on this kanji project, I need to learn kana. I will find a website showing stroke order, then insert the kana into my SRS. I will spend a week or two on kana, then I will start kanji. Obviously, after finishing both kanji and kana, I will still need to read with furigana to know which reading to use.

I think the major reason I have given up on Japanese writing in the past is the fact that I never learned speaking during that time. So, I am going to start using Pimsleur's Japanese courses. I prefer FSI, but they don't have courses in Japanese available. Obviously, pimseluer won't get me to fluency, but at least I will have a firm ground in the spoken language.

Besides kana/kanji, and pimsleur, I obviously plan on continuing to listen to authentic Japanese material, like music, movies, etc.

Here is a final overview of my new study plan.

Pimsleur- 30 minutes a day (1 lesson)
Kana/Kanji- 45 minutes a day (15 minutes review, 30 minutes new kanji)
Immersion environment (music, movies, reading)- no limit

Note: I may repeat a pimsleur lesson two or three times before moving on to the next lesson.

Edited by Rekunoto on 18 March 2008 at 3:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6207 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 2 of 3
18 March 2008 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
May I make a suggestion? Instead of drilling kanji->meaning, kun, on, do something like this:

Question:

Answer:
はな
Flower

and then

Question:
花びん(or花瓶)

Answer:
かびん
flower vase

That way you're learning actual words at the same time you learn the meaning and readings of the kanji. It's easier and more productive to learn words rather than miscellaneous kanji information.

Good luck with your studies^^

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
20 March 2008 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice Yukamina! Learning kanji and vocab at the same time makes more since than learning random readings alone. When I finish learning hiragana/katakana in a couple weeks, I will definitely use your technique with kanji.

Today was my first official day of Japanese practice. I did the first lesson of Pimsleur Japanese a couple days ago, but today was the first day I followed my plan through. I did lesson two of Pimsleur today, and learned 9 hiragana symbols.

Tomorrow, I am going to spend more time on hiragana. I feel like I slacked off on writing today, but I was tired so I guess that justifies things a bit.

Anyways, Pimsleur is going very well. Just as planned in fact. I learned some new phrases today, and all in all I am enjoying the series. I hope to continue working on Pimsleur until I finish all three volumes.

Immersion was pretty sloppy too today. I listed to around an hour of Japanese (which isn't much for me), so I plan on doing a lot more listening tomorrow.

Edited by Rekunoto on 21 March 2008 at 2:56pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version