Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6356 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 11
24 March 2008 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Background in the language--I've taken French for a number of years in high school and now college. In the last few months, I've shadowed the Assimil New French with Ease several times, gone through many of the FIA videos, and experimented extensively with the Listening-Reading method.   

Competency--Right now, I'm probably straddling the line between advanced intermediate and basic fluency. Due to my study methods, my reading ability is far more developed than any other aspect. Comprehension is a distant second place, followed by speaking ability. My accent is near-native, but I struggle producing my own sentences orally and in writing.

Plans--After seeing Prof. Arguelles scriptorium demonstration I was very impressed as the method trains one's speaking and writing ability simultaneously. I've experimented with it a little and it has already improved my sentence production. I hope to go through both Assimil volumes in this fashion within the next few months. For the time being, I've put aside all other resources so I can just focus on this.

Edited by lloydkirk on 24 March 2008 at 5:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lloydkirk
Diglot
Joined 6356 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 

Message 2 of 11
24 March 2008 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Today, I went through the first three lessons of Using French. It is somewhat of a tedious process, but also rewarding. *My hand is a bit stiff and if it we're for the pain of adding accents, I would type these out for sure.*

Edited by lloydkirk on 24 March 2008 at 6:09pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 11
25 March 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
What is the scriptorium method exactly? Could you link me to the explanation as I can't find it through search.

lloydkirk
Diglot
Joined 6356 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 

Message 4 of 11
25 March 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=9493&PN=1

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6179 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 5 of 11
25 March 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
lloydkirk wrote:
Today, I went through the first three lessons of Using French. It is somewhat of a tedious process, but also rewarding. *My hand is a bit stiff and if it we're for the pain of adding accents, I would type these out for sure.*

I think it's great that you are doing this with scriptorium. I've found it very beneficial although it is slightly tedious. I think that actually writing something out by hand carries a lot more weight in our minds than typing something. For me, typing is kind of a cheap mental process, but if I am writing by hand it requires much more focus.

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 11
25 March 2008 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
I think I may try doing this too with French. I think were pretty much at the same level in French. I thought by saying aloud and writing out sentences and paragraphs by Famous french authors that I could remember more difficult grammar concepts and re-enforce them in my mind. I really want to get where I have close to perfect use of the subjunctive through all it's tenses, past, imperfect, present, plus-que imparfait,and I think scriptorium is a great way to do it.

lloydkirk
Diglot
Joined 6356 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 

Message 7 of 11
26 March 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
kealist wrote:
lloydkirk wrote:

I think it's great that you are doing this with scriptorium. I've found it very beneficial although it is slightly tedious. I think that actually writing something out by hand carries a lot more weight in our minds than typing something. For me, typing is kind of a cheap mental process, but if I am writing by hand it requires much more focus.

--Yeah, you're probably right about typing. When I write things by hand I have somehow a deeper connection to the writing. It's easier on the eyes too...--

On another note, the dialogues in Using French, the second volume, are a lot more interesting and informative than the first, so I highly reccomend it to anyone who's thinking about getting it.

Edited by lloydkirk on 26 March 2008 at 9:26am

lloydkirk
Diglot
Joined 6356 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 

Message 8 of 11
26 March 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
vanityx3 wrote:
I think I may try doing this too with French. I think were pretty much at the same level in French. I thought by saying aloud and writing out sentences and paragraphs by Famous french authors that I could remember more difficult grammar concepts and re-enforce them in my mind. I really want to get where I have close to perfect use of the subjunctive through all it's tenses, past, imperfect, present, plus-que imparfait,and I think scriptorium is a great way to do it.

You should defininately give it a shot. In my oppinion, the method is far superior than the '2nd wave' suggested by assimil, because you almost entirely focus on the french dialogue. I might ocasionaly glance at the English side to figure out a word I don't know, but that's it. 99% of my thought process and language exposure is in French, so it's very effective.

Edited by lloydkirk on 26 March 2008 at 9:33am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version