guilon
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 6135 days ago

226 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, PortugueseC2, FrenchC2, Italian, English

Message 1 of 4
29 March 2008 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
I started German two days ago, I just bought "El nuevo alemán sin esfuerzo", it looks great for the time being.
Professor's methods (scriptorium and shadowing) are very helpful, I had tried shadowing before, in order to
improve my Spanishesque English accent, and I can guarantee it is a a fast and powerful method.

So, my line of action would be:

-Assimil, on a daily basis, no matter how many lessons per week as far as I feel comfortable, I'll even slow down
whenever I feel it is becoming overwhelming, I don't want to burn myself out. I am listening to the lessons again
and again, shadowing when I feel like doing it and one scriptorium exercise for every lesson.

-Podcasts from Ö3 Wecker-Comedy and Treffpunkt Europa (Deutsche Welle) as a background sound, repeating
them several times a day, with no interest on improving understanding which is rather poor right now, it is only
intended as an habituation task, I want to become accustomed to the sound of the language.

-Audiobooks, fairy tales, accompanied by the corresponding texts. I am just flirting with those for the moment.
Extensive reading is usually the core of my own learning methodology, but it is not feasible at the very
beginning, of course. I hope I won't have to wait too much to start reading novels and other books in German.

I hope this is going to work.

1 person has voted this message useful

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6362 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 4
30 March 2008 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Good luck to your German, Guilon!! Viel Glück! ;)

guilon
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 6135 days ago

226 posts - 229 votes 

Message 3 of 4
30 March 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Danke, Idril ;)

It is raining today in my town, but still I am getting ready to take a long walk shadowing lessons 1 to 6 of Assimil.
To be honest, I have never liked German too much, but it is beginning to sound attractive to my ears after some
days of exposure.

It is being especially difficult to deal with so many consonants combined, even in as simple sentences as the ones I
am learning now, this has always been a serious issue in English too.

guilon
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 6135 days ago

226 posts - 229 votes 

Message 4 of 4
02 April 2008 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Almost a week shadowing German and I still feel my tongue and my mouth are too clumsy to pronounce all those
consonants stuck together, I got more acquainted with the peculiarities of the language though. I've been working
through 1st to 6th lessons of Assimil again and again and listening to podscats and audiobooks sporadically. Since I
only learned Romances and English in the past, it is like I am studying a foreing language for the first time
somehow.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version