Joined 6129 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 1
07 April 2008 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Hi all!

Last year I spent 7 consecutive months studying Korean on an intensive basis in the classroom. 4 months were spent in Daegu, South Korea, at a university on a less intensive basis, although my class participated in a culture class where we did learn other things which could be applied to the language. During this time I did a lot of reading on this forum about studying languages, but never applied the knowledge due to my horrible self-motivation and self-discipline. The only time I have ever studied a language seriously was a bit over a year ago over December and January when I studied Japanese in my spare time for at least an hour a day.

I wish to change my study habits this summer. I would do it earlier than then, but unfortunately I have 13 credits of classes and 2-3 hours of DVD screeners (for HIFF) each week, not to mention my part-time job, which fills in 20 hours of potential free time.

My semester ends in mid-May and I am going to Japan for a week after that, so my plan is to begin studying Korean on an intensive basis on my own time starting on June 1st. This is in preparation for the study abroad I plan to do at Soonchunhyang University this fall and next spring. My goal is to throw my bad habits aside and study for more than two months straight.

I know this is some time away from now, so what I will do until then is have my regiment/schedule posted here. If anyone can critique it and give me ideas for revision I will be very grateful as I wish to make the most of the plan. I think having this little log will also aid me in accomplishing my goal as well. Once June comes around I will post updates on my progress.

My materials:

- 마당을 나온 암탉, a ~200-page novel directed at 5th/6th grade Korean students. I have worked with this book earlier this year before I became busy so I am aware of difficulties and time frames for study.
- Sharp's SD-S90 electronic dictionary
- Spiral notebook
- Gel-ink pen

My tentative weekly schedule for the summertime. This may change as the date draws nearer, but this is what I will attempt to follow. Start times of study will be determined later:

Sunday - Double shift
Monday - Study
Tuesday - Study
Wednesday - Double shift
Thursday - Study
Friday - Study
Saturday - Double Shift

On study days I will study for a total of 5 hours, possibly at a library. I will take 30 minutes to transcribe and translate a single page from the novel. I will read my hangeul aloud as I write it. I will then step outside for 15 minutes and read aloud the page I translated. I will experiment with Arguelles's instructions for walking. The final 15 minutes of the hour will consist of a retranslation of the page. I will do this for 4 hours. The fifth hour will consist of 30 minutes of retranslation and reading aloud of the previous session's material and 30 minutes of retranslation and reading aloud of material from two sessions prior. So,

0-30 Scriptorium/translation
31-45 Reading aloud
46-60 Translation

0-30 Review of one day prior
31-60 Review of two days prior

At some point later in the day I will meet with a bilingual Korean native. S/he will read to me the day's material, correct my translations, and read the material once more.

On day which I work a double shift I will take advantage of my break by reviewing, in the manner of hour 5, the previous days' material.

By following this plan I would be studying every page of the book 4-5 times each. Once initially, two times during session review, and once after my morning work shift (plus once more for weekends). Given the number of words I remember from the 3-4 pages I translated two months ago (and only studied twice at most) I believe I can increase my knowledge of grammar and vocabulary, as well as my reading and listening comprehension, by a significant amount in the expected 10- or 11-week timespan. I already have a number of willing bilingual friends so I shouldn't have a hard time finding help 4 times a week. If 30 minutes proves to be too long for a page, I will adjust accordingly or use the time to take a breather, depending on the length of the following page.

Once again, critique and suggestions are welcome so I may properly prepare. I do not wish to purchase any language materials for this regiment unless it contains expansive explanations on Korean grammar.

Edited by qklilx on 07 April 2008 at 11:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version