13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 13
27 October 2007 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
armando wrote:
I just discovered something that might be useful to other people: Go into itunes, scroll to the bottom and choose your store. I chose 'italia'. Now you can choose podcasts, audiobooks, etc in italian grouped nicely by categories! (I guess its the same for other languages...)
Thank you for the tip!!!
1 person has voted this message useful

armando
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6221 days ago

44 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 13
07 January 2008 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
I finished the last session of Pimsleur III today. I am little bit behind schedule on this (about 2 weeks) so thats not too bad at all. I have also almost finished unit 2 of La Lingua Italian per i Stranieri (also about 2 weeks behind schedule). Overall I am happy with my progress over the last 6 months... in the sens that I have finished pimsleur 1-3. This is the longest and hardest that I have ever worked at Italian.

I still dont feel very comfortable having a conversation with someone so I still have a lot of work to do!

my next steps are:

1. Go through Michel Thomas. This will give me a better understanding than Pimsleur (which basically just drilled things repetitively! I plan to finish this by the end of February and this will put me solidly at level A2 and I expect to be confident enough to make simple chit chat when the opportunity arises.

2. Carry on with La Lingua and do about 3 units a month so that I finish around September. This will formalise my knowledge and take me to B1/B2 level.

3. For more audio materials I will get Harry Potter in audio and book version and listen/read that for a few months. I will start that when I finish MT (about march).

4. Once I have finished La Lingua I will take out a year subscription to Acquerello italiano. I expect that to place me firmly at the B2 level which for now is my goal.

5. To make progress i will need to start chatting to people in italian at every opportunity, and also to start writing in my blog in italian, also also start reading and watching movies as soon as i am able to.

6. perhaps september will be a good time to go on holiday to italy?

TraineePolyglot
Australia
Joined 6491 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 13
24 January 2008 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Great progress! To help with getting experience in conversations, perhaps some Skype language exchanges might be helpful? You'll get to practise speaking Italian with someone who understands that you are only learning, and a bonus feature is that their difficulties conversing in English will make you not feel so bad about any Italian difficulties of your own. I haven't tried this myself yet, though.

Good luck!

armando
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6221 days ago

44 posts - 46 votes

Message 12 of 13
25 January 2008 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
I guess I should try it although I would find it difficult to talk to random people in (even in english!) on skype and I would wonder what to talk about! It is a good option to try though and might be the only way of getting practise as the area where I am living doesn't seem to have many foreigners...

armando
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6221 days ago

44 posts - 46 votes

Message 13 of 13
10 February 2008 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I have made good progress the last month - finished MT foundation. I will move on to finish the builder over the next 2 weeks, and the advanced after that.

I have repeated the first 3 units of 'La lingua' and captured the vocabulary words into a spreadsheet, and the verbs into another. I will import these into jMemorize and do some drills every day. Ideally I would like to do a unit a week, but that that might be a bit ambitious!

Edited by armando on 10 February 2008 at 1:10pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version