United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 10
30 December 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I know. A1? That's it? That's so... low! Yeah, it is, but you have to start someplace, and there's my next goal.

This helpful website explains the A1 Proficiency level as follows:

Quote:
Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.

I'm not to that point yet, although I've been working on Spanish learning for around four months. Around September was when I started, but I've been on-and-off with my motivation (for instance, I just got back from about a two week slack-time, but I always come back), so hopefully, I'll be able to stay motivated for longer this time around. I've been learning a bunch of vocab using flashcards (This was my first journal relating to flashcard-based learning, and this is my most-recent one), but I'm just beginning to start working with sentences and stuff. Hopefully, that will help me to understand prepositions a great deal better than I currently do using just the flashcards.

I stated earlier that I had just slacked off for the past two weeks, mainly because of going on a three day trip, throwing my schedule off-balance, and putting me way behind in Mnemosyne. But this afternoon, I tested myself on the 1000 flashcards that I had been working with (just translating from Spanish to English, the easy direction) and I still got all but 40 correct, so the studying I have been doing has been sinking pretty far in, even if it has been haphazard. Oh yeah, even though I know around 1000 words, I don't know how to conjugate at all yet, so that needs worked on too.

Resources at my disposal:
- Learn in Your Car Spanish (all three levels)
- Assimil Spanish with Ease
- Before You Know It Spanish (just a pre-made flashcard program, really)
- 1500 pre-made, store-bought paper flashcards.
- FSI Programmatic Spanish (same that you can download for free)
- The massive resource that is the internet
- An extremely optimistic and easly-excited attitude

Alright, so here comes the future. My plan to reaching my next goal -- A1 Proficiency.

<Insert Plan Here>

Sadly, that about sums it up. I don't really have a good plan yet. I hope to listen to one lesson of Assimil per day, and have Learn in Your Car Spanish playing in the background when I can, as well as making some flashcards of my own with short, easy sentences that I could try to learn. Past that, I don't really know.

Sub goals:
- "Learn to introduce themselves and others"
--- Hi, my name is...
--- What is your name?
--- I´d like you to meet...
--- This is my <familial-relationship word - example, bother>, <name>.
- "can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives"
--- I am an American
--- I live in <name of city>, <name of state>, Estados Unidos
--- My address is... (complete with zip code)
--- Here's how to get to my house...
- "people he/she knows and things he/she has"
--- Yes, I have <item name>
--- No, I don't have <item name>
--- (at work) It's on aisle <aisle number>, on the <side> side of the aisle. I can show you, if you want.
--- (at home) I have <item name>. It's in <name of room>, in/on the <furniture item>
- "Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help."
--- Basically, be familiar enough with the material that I won't freeze up with someone when they say something to me in Spanish.

That's about it for my start. I don't know what a good time frame to try for, because I really don't know what's all involved, but if any of you would like to give me advice on goal-setting or anything else during the process of this journal being made, just go for it!)
1 person has voted this message useful

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 2 of 10
30 December 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
So ya' know how I said that I was easily-excited? Well, I just got excited! I'm working through the beginning of Learn in Your Car Spanish, to see where my starting point would be. Turns out that I meet up with some things that I didn't know as early as lesson 6 or 7 on the first CD. But the Super-cool part is, starting in the beginning of the second level (disc 4 out of 11), they do conjugations! That makes me excited, because it doesn't seem like it would take an awfully-long time to get to that point. Wheeeee!

Kualidu
Triglot
Groupie
Mexico
Joined 6149 days ago

93 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 3 of 10
31 December 2007 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Congratulations for being back on track. It is not easy but this is what makes the difference between those who can imagine projects that are great and marvelous and those who through discipline are able to achieve them. Keep up with that enthusiasm and hit me up if you need help.

¡Buena suerte!

Edited by Kualidu on 31 December 2007 at 2:11am

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 4 of 10
03 January 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Well, although I said that I meet up with some things that I didn't know in lesson 7 or 8, I decided to go slowly through the first ones anyway, so I can make sure that I don't end up missing anything. I think I'm basically good through level 5 or 6 at the moment, and will move on soon. Work is generally slow around the beginning of the year, because we have a lot of outdoor items that we sell, so I'll probably have an extra day per week off, that I'll try to spend hitting Spanish harder than normal (also, potentially looking for a second job).

I've sorta' stopped working with Mnemosyne, because of the fact that way back there, I got way behind on it, but I'll still be working with the paper flashcards this evening before bed.

I'm also currently trying to cut down the Assimil recordings into as action-packed as I can get them, like the Prof said to do here. I had been looking for that thread for the last couple days, but the forum has not been working right for me. (Readers, was the forum whacked out for you guys too?) I've already cut the first five lessons down, and I'm hoping to get at least a few more before quitting for the evening.

That's about all to report for today. Hasta luego, niños.

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 5 of 10
08 January 2008 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Alright, so even though my current focus is on trying to listen to Assimil and Learn in Your Car Spanish, I've still checked the rest of my previous flashcards, to see how much I actually lost during my week or two absence from Spanish studies. As I posted at the beginning, when testing my 1000 flashcards from Spanish to English, I missed 40. I just got done (sadly, it takes a couple days for me to go through my flash cards, because I fall asleep or get distracted and stuff too easily) testing myself English to Spanish, and I missed 92 words. That brings me to a total of 132 out of 2000, including each direction as one potential correct answer. So for those flashcards, I'm now at 93.4%. Not too bad, but I still need a considerable amount of work.

I got a third set of flashcards at the same time as my second set, to save on shipping, and I'm just getting into that third box. So now, I just put the ones I got wrong from the 1000 cards into the box with the new 500. The plan is, that every week or two, I go through all 1500 cards, and put the ones that I missed on the most-recent test in the box and just work on them until the next test. Any that don't stick will continue to come up, but those that work will still get reviewed. Alright, so I now have 1500 flashcards that are in my current study *beams* That makes me happy :-)

Oh yeah, I know that this post had no information about the Assimil or LIYC Spanish, but I've decided to just put all of my update posts in this thread until I feel that I've pretty much reached the A1 proficiency, as per my goal.

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 6 of 10
08 January 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Just another encouragement update. I just keep noticing more and more that I'm able to follow what's going on in conversations on Spanish movies and radio. Makes me happy. Anyway, I just got a book called Angels and Demons from the library, because it was one of the few that had the Spanish audiobook and the text that I can read along with, so I'm going to go read along with that now. Hasta luego.

Marj
United States
Joined 6509 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 7 of 10
08 January 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your successes, and I'm glad that you're happy with your progress. Good luck on your book.
I'm also learning Spanish, and was thrilled when I would watch a movie and could understand some of the dialogue recently, so I can relate to the feeling you had.
Marj

alexkelley
United States
alexandelizabeth.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6224 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 8 of 10
09 January 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Principiante wrote:
Just another encouragement update. I just keep noticing more and more that I'm able to follow what's going on in conversations on Spanish movies and radio. Makes me happy. Anyway, I just got a book called Angels and Demons from the library, because it was one of the few that had the Spanish audiobook and the text that I can read along with, so I'm going to go read along with that now. Hasta luego.

Coincidentally, Angeles Y Demonios is one of the few Spanish language audiobooks here in the Madison library system. I was hoping for a more sophisticated book to follow the advice of Miss Hopper but this one should be a great learning opportunity for us anyways.

Edited by alexkelley on 09 January 2008 at 5:04pm

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version