United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 10
26 February 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
So... it's been forever since I've updated this thing. Probably because my Spanish studies haven't exactly been disciplined. I listen to the Learn Spanish In Your Car things off-and-on, and I set all my normal websites that I go to to their Spanish versions, like facebook and all, and I have made a couple friends that I talk to online that speak Spanish frequently to me, so I haven't completely stopped studying... it's just that I haven't been keeping with any particular program. So... here's trying... yet again.

Interestingly enough, I just picked up my box of flashcards that are the ones that I generally miss, and I have been getting their Spanish-to-English translations right about 80% of the time. Most of the ones in this box are ones that I haven't studied at all ever... but I'm getting them right. Makes me feel that the other sources of Spanish input have been helping, even though I know that I could be a significant amount farthur if I would have stuck with the plan.

So I've just got this new job at a shipping company, and the pay is significantly more than I was making before, so I'm going to be able to go back to school and finish my bachelors degree (super neat-o!). The other thing is, I'll most-likely be able to take some Spanish courses, which would make me happy. I know that most people on this site are of the opinnion that self-study is the best, but I think it would do me well in the discipline side of things to go for it in class as well. My only problem is, I have a feeling that if I start at Spanish I, then I'll already know all the words that they'll be teaching, and I'll be in a class with other people who are learning Buenos Dias. But I'm not sure if I'd be good enough if I start off at some higher level, because I don't know what crucial thing I might have missed by studying on my own.

Do college Spanish courses generally stick with present tense for Spanish I? If they do, then I might be able to start off with second level, but if they don't, I might end up learning how to build sentences, and just already know all the words, by starting with Spanish I.
1 person has voted this message useful

cothromóid
Triglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 6089 days ago

77 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Irish
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 10 of 10
26 February 2008 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Slightly off-topic, but in the Irish Leaving Certificate grade system, "A1" signifies the highest grade possible!
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version