raufoss50
United States
Joined 6135 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 4
13 January 2008 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
This is my first entry in my long journey through Platiquemos. I received the computer files as a Christmas gift last year and dove right into them. I'm currently about 3/4 through Unit 4. It is going well. I understand the verb "estar" fairly well. I'll need a primer on "ser" to help me cope with the usage.

I like the Platiquemos approach. I'm not supplementing with any other materials. I'm entering the new vocabulary into Mnemosyne (Linux), which is a flash card program built using the SuperMemo system. I like it. Just entering the words and phrases helps and I count it towards my hourly commitment.

Speaking of hours, Unit 4 is going to take a good 8 hours. I do an hour at a time as my brain gets taxed with the intense concentration. I should finish up tomorrow. I'm going to do about 1 to 1.5 units per week. I may get stuck, but I'll plod through it. The reward of 2+ fluency awaits me.

I notice with the dialogs that some of the speakers really rattle off the phrases, which is mind-numbing, yet very helpful. I was watching a Spanish game-show and managed to grasp a few phrases, proving the need for native-speed dialogs.

I'll try to give at least weekly entries. This should help my confidence. I've pinned down all of my trepidation on this journey to fear of failure. So, I'll attempt to avoid that.
1 person has voted this message useful

raufoss50
United States
Joined 6135 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes

Message 2 of 4
20 January 2008 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Done with Unidad 4. Almost done with Unidad 5. I have one more listen through on the Basic Sentences and the Conversation Stimulus. I find the last one quite interesting. I carefully review the material before listening. Then, I listen to it through a few times developing my listening comprehension. Interestingly, the prompts are what I'm learning most from. I still can't catch all of some of the more complex prompts without using the text as a crutch. I assume this will develop as the course progresses.

I have a thousand blank flash cards coming soon. I will use these to write done the new vocab for each Unit.

I find myself thinking the phrases and words I have learned without conscience effort. Of course, I'm still mentally translating a lot, but more and more is coming naturally. For example, "Como dice" is totally natural for me now. Hopefully, this will compound with use.

SunnyDD
Groupie
United States
levelsolutions.
Joined 6489 days ago

77 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 3 of 4
22 January 2008 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Raufoss:

Good luck with Platiquemos. I'm currently on unit 35, and I think you will find that through repetition you will understand the more complex prompts without using the text. I have also found it beneficial to read through the unit a couple of times before diving in. Once you get to unit 16, there is reading material as well.

Buena suerte.

raufoss50
United States
Joined 6135 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes

Message 4 of 4
26 January 2008 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
SunnyDD, thanks for the info and encouragement. I'm almost done with Unidad 6 and will be moving on to Unidad 7.

I'm trying to do at least one Unit a week. I would prefer to do more, but I want to be thorough, and work is sometimes trying. I suppose I'll follow the tortoise's example: slow and steady.

I purchased some blank flashcards and have been using them as time-reclaimers. The prompts in the conversational stimulus are making more sense. I should say, they always made sense. I'm simply getting a bit quicker at picking them up. Like a little race in the pause provided. A few of the speakers are super-fast, so it can be a challenge.

My short-term goal is to get through Level 1, so I can read the intro to Level 2. I like that material. Don did a good job of polishing it and presenting in a non-threatening way. Don't get me wrong, this stuff can be downright torture at times, but it works for me.

I have been watching some Telemundo programs. I can pick up some stuff, but most of it is flying over my head. However, I see tiny increases in progress from day to day.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version