bluejay390
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 1 of 8
24 January 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
So, I have decided to do the one week challenge. The language that I have chosen is German. I have added German to my list of languages that I am studying and have put Spanish and Mandarin as "Studying On and Off" but I left Malay the same because although I won't be studying it as intensely as German, I still plan on doing some work (mostly writing and reading) in Malay.

The reason that I have chosen German is because I love how the language sounds. :) My plan for this whole week is to immerse myself in German as much as I can with the exception of things that I cannot control, like school.

I will be starting this Saturday, and I will try to update this journal daily for the whole week.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 8
24 January 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Also have a look at the lessons I started at http://www.learnlangs.com/German/GermanBites/ .

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 4 of 8
26 January 2008 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Here is a list of the resources that I will be using. of course, I don't plan on using all of them during this one week. A lot of them are there for future use.

Day 1

My German Studies begun today. I was so excited that I woke up at six o'clock which is a miracle for me unless it is a school day. After waking up/fooling around for about an hour I sat down, added some Genki German songs to my ipod, and started FSI German. I went through the all of lesson one once before going back and writing down the words into a notebook (so that I can bring it to school with me Monday and do some studying during my free period). Then I typed the vocabulary into Anki.

After creating flashcards for unit one and watching pokemon, I was ready for unit 2! These lessons are kind of boring... I just finished unit two right now. I was hoping to get another lesson in since I had the whole day to work on this, but that did not happen. And then guitar Hero III distracted me, but that counts as studying because they had German songs on it! Haha. I'm just joking. :p

In other related news, The Genki German website says that you'll be singing their songs all day. I should have listened to the warning because now I cannot stop singing "Wie heisst du?"

Edited by bluejay390 on 27 January 2008 at 7:53am

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 5 of 8
27 January 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Day 2

I was so lazy today. I spent most of the day sleeping and fooling around on the Internet. However, I did get some work done.

I looked up information about German grammar. I found some pretty useful information on about.com. I made little notes on my ipod of that information. I also put the FSI audio files on my ipod so that I can listen to them tomorrow (they surprisingly do not take up a lot of space).

Right now I am typing FSI unit 2 vocabulary into Anki. Then I plan to go through unit 3. I really want to get to unit 4 as well but I also don't want to stay up all night and burn myself out.

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 6 of 8
31 January 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Day 2 Continued

Last night I managed to copy down most of the unit three vocab words. but then i was too tired so I went to bed kind of early.

Day 3

I have given up making flashcards with Anki because it takes up too much time. Instead I am just listening, and writing the vocabulary in my notebook. I am reviewing the vocabulary in my notebook every day instead of making flashcards. After this one week I'll probably go back and make flashcards. There are just too many (190 from the first two units) and they take too much time.

I finished up unit 3 and reviewed previous vocabulary.

Day 4

I am trying to make the vocabulary that I do know active, so I have written a little dialogue in German. No time to post it though. :p Maybe I'll write something else at the end of this week to test my German skills.

Day 5

This was a bad day. I did not do anythign new, but I did look over the previous vocab words.

Day 6

I finally stopped being lazy and finished FSI unit 4! I took a quick look at unit 5 and it is shorter then the other units so I am going to try and get that done tonight.

Edited by bluejay390 on 31 January 2008 at 8:38pm

bluejay390
Joined 6221 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 

Message 7 of 8
02 February 2008 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Days 6 and 7
I was going to post this yesterday but I spent the night studying. In the end I managed to finish up to unit 6. I was hoping to get more studying in but that did not happen.

Some final thoughts:
-If I were to do something like this again it would be when I have more free time, like in the summer when I don't have school.
-I found the FSI German course to be helpful. I was able to compare the German sentences with the English sentences and see how they differed.
-This week of studying was pretty helpful as well. I think that it was worth doing, and I had fun with it. I feel that it has given me a nice start in to the German language. :)

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6593 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 8 of 8
02 February 2008 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Good work!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version