Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 13
27 January 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
I've decided to take a temporary pause from this forum. I've gained a lot of great ideas here, and I thank everyone that I've learned from. I feel that I'm spending too much time here, which could be more productively spent solidifying my study habits, among other things.

I won't be logged in, responding to PMs, or otherwise around for a while. Anyone looking for siometteikiru's contact information should ask atamagaii.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 13
27 January 2008 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies!

I'd probably need to through my PC or at least my modem away if I wanted to take a pause from this forum ;D

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 6149 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 3 of 13
27 January 2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
It's high time!

So it's time for me to quit, too.
Sheetz doesn't post anything new. You won't be here. Luke has disappeared.

I will check only my pms once a week. Good luck!

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6329 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 4 of 13
27 January 2008 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
I'm going to. :-) Will be checking the new stuff once a fortnight or so.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6886 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 5 of 13
27 January 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'd probably need to through my PC or at least my modem away if I wanted to take a pause from this forum ;D

It's not as hard as you think, if you follow a patented two-step forum reduction program. First, you stop posting, while continuing to read the forum, all the while forcing yourself to refrain from replying to all and sundry posts that really deserve it. This is a crucial step, greatly aided by reminding yourself that the Earth does keep spinning with or without us. Then you stay away from reading the forum for a period of time at least twice as long as the eventual visiting interval. After your brain and body return to their normal temperature, you can resume reading the forum at the pre-selected interval, while continuing to refrain from replying and remembering that the world will be just fine anyway.

Edited by frenkeld on 27 January 2008 at 10:01am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 13
27 January 2008 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
What is it with people going on break??? This is sad!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 27 January 2008 at 10:10am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 13
27 January 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Come on, everyone needs a break now and then. A break from the forum/computer, and a break for the studies. I'm taking my break now (but will return in a couple of hours :) )

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6646 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 13
27 January 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I have spent a lot of time here, but it doesn't feel so bad yet that I have to quit.

When I'm writing here I always try also to do something else at the same time (like watching TV or listening to music, - I'm somewhere in the third movement of Mahler's fifth right now*), or I just pass through in between reading or listening to stuff on my PC. Sometimes something in a thread catches my interest to the extent that I spend several hours looking into some problem (I have been reading and - sometimes listening to - homepages in Swiss German, Galician, operatic Italian, Sardinian, Aromanian and other languages and dialects because of threads at this forum), and this -- *Mahler fourth movement now -- is as entertaining as studying my 'normal' languages. I have also been following trails in personality psychology and other study related subjects that I might not have followed without this forum. So it is not just time wasted.

When I answer a question I do sometimes feel that it is just repetition, but it is difficult to find back to earlier answers even for those of us who have been here for some time. I'm seriously thinking about collecting the more comprehensive (and labour intensive!)of my own answers in 'my own thread' for easy reference, so that I don't ever have to write the same things again. But quitting the forum - not now, at least.

My single most important issue with this forum is that the multilingual section isn't used far more actively. I have written quite a lot there (and my thanks to those who have written even more), but it is difficult to revive a thread once it has gone into hibernation. Maybe people are just too shy about writing in a language before they are absolutely perfect in it, but I have survived writing in Swedish and Low German which are not even on my language list. Or maybe they don't want to be the first in half a year to write in a certain thread. Never mind, the fact is that most threads in that section either just die ignominously or fizzle out in simple error correction. There is already enough English in the world, so try something else please (... *and now we have reached the final movement).

Edited by Iversen on 27 January 2008 at 12:30pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version