Groupie
Spain
Joined 6112 days ago

47 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: Catalan, Spanish*, English, French
Studies: German, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 2 of 15
29 January 2008 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
My 2 cents (which come from someone with no idea about Polish wahtsoever): when I struggle with pronounciation, I go to Wikipedia, and look for the entry on that languague's phonetics, in your case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_phonology

It usually helps me, even if I don't get everything that's being explained, I can understand a bit more, and on Wikipedia, you always have those handy blue links, that can help you with the meaning of unknown phonetic/phonological concepts.

That said, good luck!!!
1 person has voted this message useful

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6185 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 6 of 15
30 January 2008 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I wish you good luck, leserables!
I agree with you... Any knowledge of Russian when tackling Slavic languages is definitely a godsend!

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6593 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 7 of 15
30 January 2008 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
leserables wrote:
As for time spent, exactly as I thought, 4 hours at most. Too many other things have to be seen to and languages (or any other hobbies) have to play second fiddle. So far, 10 hours in 3 days, a far cry from apparition's 31 hours in 3 days. No wonder he makes better progress. Unfortunately we can't all be that persistent.

You can console yourself with the fact that you actually have a life right now. As my seven days end today, I'm really winding down in terms of hours spent and have started getting back to the real world. There's only so much cloistering one can do in today's world.

I attempted Polish about a year ago and want to try again someday, but it was very difficult to get started. I only lasted a few days the first time around, so anyone who's working with it definitely gets my respect!

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6527 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 8 of 15
31 January 2008 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Leserables,

I also came to show some support!

The consonant clusters in Polish are very difficult. Slovak already sounds to some foreigners as 'opening a mineral water bottle', Polish in this respect is very difficult.

I don't have any good advice for you on pronunciation of the Polish consonant clusters. I'm from eastern Slovakia and some of the dialects here are intelligible with Polish, so to some of the sounds I've been exposed early on. After reading this journal, I picked up a Polish book I have at home and read about 20 pages to see how I would do. I have no idea how correctly I was pronouncing the sounds, but I had to use the dictionary for only maybe 5 words per page, which was a very pleasant surprise. Slovak, Czech and Russian definitely help. I wanted to know whether the Polish speaking members of this forum would be able to do the same with Slovak.

What is the main problem? Can you hear all the sounds in the clusters, or are you just having problems reproducing them?

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version