Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 20
22 February 2008 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Yeah; I commented on that as well. I can only see lloydkirk's. (This is the second time I post in this thread; my previous post asked the same thing as lloydkirk, and was deleted).

Furthermore, I can't see leserables's posts in other threads, either.

I'd really like to know why - I personally have enjoyed most of his posts, and I'd certainly prefer to be able to see them.

Via another method, I have an idea of what he's up to; I'd be curious to know how his L-R experiment with Assimil is going. I've been pondering doing that for a while, but haven't tried it.

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 12 of 20
24 February 2008 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Polish 1 week challenge follow-up
Day 25 (but only posted today, February 24th)
Didn't get much done yesterday because I decided to re-read the now closed post about Listening-Reading. To make sure that what I thought I'd understood about the system was actually more or less correct.
10 hours a day is not a possibility for most people once they've finished school. Too many obligations and responsabilities. For me evenings are out, so any listening-reading has to be done during the day. And even then 5 hours a day is a maximum, on optimal days. There is always something unforeseen to upset one's best plans or resolutions.
Well, I did read Assimil up to lesson 70 in Polish while listening to the Polish audio, hope to finish it today. But am then going back to re-read the whole book in French while listening to Polish audio again. I should be able to follow the audio much better this time round as I alread know what I'm supposed to understand and the sentences are clearly separated. The first 50 lessons were fine, the rest of the book I didn't quite manage to follow. It's purely passive stuff, done only to get more used to pronunciation and flow of language.
Later, evening: Didn't get all that much done today either. Still spending far too much time reading posts on this site and tidying up loose ends on my computer. Finished the Assimil book though and listened, again, to Alice, with a little more comprehension this time. But nothing to brag about yet. I also listened, while walking the dog, to half of Spotkania which I have only opened to see what sort of a text-book it is. It looks promising, but I have now decided to postpone any reading of that till after I've finished with Assimil. But I'm glad to say that I understand a whole lot of what's being said on those recordings. Even though the flow is quite fast.
I've also transferred the audio of yet another German textbook "Einstieg polnisch", funny voices (the main female character sounds like someone's grandmother, with a wobble in an upper-class voice, and the main male character sounds rather precious) which disconcerted me a little at first. But I finally decided that it made the whole much more memorable because so outlandish. The voices are a joke really, but the little booklet isn't bad: the vocabulary introduced is very useful and there is a lot of basic information about "Land und Leute". Readers' Digest style of course, but still, for the beginning good enough. Every little bit helps. And all this makes for relaxed, stress-free involvement with a language that I had had no intention of learning and now find fascinating.

I don't see any reason why this post should be invisible. There is a genuine interest on the forum in knowing how the method works out.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 24 February 2008 at 5:49am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 14 of 20
24 February 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Quote:
About how I'm trying to learn Polish.

I always believed that, to be a better teacher, one had to become a better learner, so, whenever I came across a new method I tried it out on myself. That's how I acquired so many language, at varying levels of competence. Anybody interested in my language profile can see them under my native language profile, seeing the list next to my posts didn't agree with me, so I lumped them all together under Luxembourgish. That was the only way to keep them in my profile but out of sight.

So I'm now trying the Listening-Reading method - my way. I can't do 8-10 hour stretches, for practical reasons, other duties, daily. I also found out that, though I like literature, not understanding a word of what I hear and read is stressful to the extreme. So I've decided to go the Krashen "meaningful input" way and use text-books that have texts (preferably dialogues) with translations of those texts and audio. Lists of vocabulary are also welcome, as long as they are really short. Otherwise they worry me, because I basically get bored by lists, and flashcards. Each to his own.
I started Polish a different way and had great trouble with pronunciation. The Listen-Read method prevents that from happening again, especially when the first lessons are spoken rather slowly. I know I can use Audacity, I tried that, but it isn't really very practical because I still have problems with the same sounds, they're slightly distorted. Whereas a more slowly spoken original audio is easier to hear, and later on to imitate.
That was the other mistake I made in the one-week-challenge. I've always been used to try and speak right from the beginning, use the language actively instead of concentrating on passive understanding first. So now I'm concentrating on listening, practically 100% of the time. The 2nd book I acquired (Spotkanie) looks very promising and the audio is very clear and quite fast, from the beginning, but... Too many of the texts don't have audio so they're useless for my purpose and I'll stay away from the book itself for the moment. But I still listen to the recordings while walking or exercising my young dog. I don't quite know what siomotte understands by 'natural' listening, but I get the gist of most of those texts without ever having seen them written down. Which is something that never happened to me before, at least not during the first month of learning. With all that listening, pronunciation, though not perfect, isn't a big problem anymore. As for active, well, that will have to wait a little longer, till it comes automatically. If I had to survive in Polish I could, I already know enough for that, but it would be slow and not really enjoyable, na wszystko musi być czas.

Thank you for your insights, Leserables. I'm looking forward to giving the Listening-Reading method a try as well.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 24 February 2008 at 11:51am

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version