Germany
christian-renner.deRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6076 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Latin

Message 1 of 4
15 February 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
This is what I have got (or at least expect to arrive by next week) for "conquering" Italian:

• Italienisch in 30 Tagen - Mariella Baumann - Humboldt-TB.-Vlg., Mchn. (1995) - ISBN 3581660555 - booklet with audio cassette
  • Langenscheidt Praktische Lehrbuecher: Italienisch. Der Standardkurs für Selbstlerner. - Roberta Costantino - Langenscheidt (2004) - ISBN 3468261837 + 3468802714 - book with four audio CDs
  • Langenscheidt Sprachenlernen ohne Buch Italienisch. 4 Audio-CDs . Fuer Anfänger mit Vorkenntnissen - Langenscheidt (2006) - ISBN 3468274548 - 4 audio cds
  • Humboldt Taschenbuecher, Italienisch fuer Fortgeschrittene, 3 Audio-CDs - Humboldt Taschenbuch Verlag (1999) - ISBN 3581687895 - book with 3 audio CDs
  • Der Selbstlernkurs Italienisch fuer Fortgeschrittene. 4Arbeitsbuch mit 4 Text-CDs, 1 Test-CD - Antonietta Esposito - Max Hueber Verlag (2000) - ISBN 3190194815
  • Audio - die hoerbar besseren Sprachtrainer: Italienisch mitreden. CD - Digital Publishing (2006) - ISBN 3897477084
  • Audio - die hoerbar besseren Sprachtrainer: Audio italienisch - essen und trinken - Digital Publishing (2007) - ISBN 3897478528
  • Fernweh: Sprachurlaub in Rom - Hoerbuch auf Italienisch. CD - Digital Publishing (2007) - ISBN 3897477262
  • Langenscheidts Universal-Sprachfuehrer: Italienisch. Langenscheidt. Praktische Redewendungen - Langenscheidt (2006) - ISBN 3468231822 - phrase book
  • PONS Verbtabellen Italienisch. - Mimma Diaco - Klett (2007) - ISBN3125613531
  • PONS Italienisch fuer Reiselustige. 2 Sprachfuehrer Essen+Urlaub - Klett (2008) - ISBN 3125607396
  • Fluessiges Italienisch. Mit Redensarten zu mehr Eloquenz. (Lernmaterialien) -Jutta J. Eckes - Rowohlt Tb. (2001) - ISBN 3499611856 - idiomatic expressions
  • Medizinisches Italienisch pocket - Boerm Bruckmeier (2007) - ISBN 3898622657 - medical Italian
  • Bildwoerterbuch Italienisch - Helen Davies - Ars Edition GmbH (2001) - ISBN 3760745350
  • Praktische Grammatik der italienischen Sprache, Grammatik - Wolfgang Reumuth -Egert Gottfried (1996) - ISBN 3926972114 - grammar
  • Großes Übungsbuch Italienisch. 3.000 Übungssätze zu allen wichtigen Grammatikthemen - Anna Colella - Hueber (2007) ISBN 3190079056 - grammar exercises
  • Grund- und Aufbauwortschatz Italienisch - Paolo Giovannelli - Klett (1979) - ISBN 312523610X - standard vocabulary (30 years old...)
  • Langenscheidts Taschenwoerterbuch, Italienisch - Vladimiro Macchi - Langenscheidt (2002) - ISBN 346811185
  • special equipment No. 1 - Franklin Bookman SD German-Italian - dictionary computer with audio
  • special equipment No. 2 - Crammy - electronic handheld vocabulary trainer with audio

My projected time frame (although I have no idea at all whether this is anything near realistic):

I want to go through the basic "Italienisch in 30 Tagen"-Kurs in eventually about 30 days. I know this will not be to easy, but I will use this old cassette course just to browse throught the basics of Italian. (This will take me to mid-March).

I want to take the Langenscheidt beginners´ course until the end of April - and try to have memorized about 3000-4000 words with my Crammy electronic trainer by then.... hmmm...very ambitious, we´ll see.

I want to go through Langenscheidt´s refresher course in 4 weeks until the end of May - and have learnt another 1000 words by then (and practiced and rehearsed whatever words I will have learned until then). I want to go through my grammar book in that time, as well.

I want to take the Max Hueber advanced Italian course in another weeks until the end of June (first run) and go on practicing with the crammy trainer.

I will not have too much time in the first two weeks of July, but train with my crammy and perhaps listen to one or two of my audio CDs.

Second run of Hueber advanced Italian: mid-july to mid-september, along with going through my medical Italian book and my holiday+eating Italian book, as well as training with my crammy.

mid-september till mid-october: crammy, grammar, phrase book! and idiomatic expressions (and a few days in Rome :-), where I will buy a few books with accompanying unabridged audiobooks - although audio libri do not seem to be too popular in Italy as far as my www-researches took me).

More daily study until December 31st. I hope to pack 500-600 hours of Italian training into that time frame - and that that will be enough to allow me to take on things like subtitled films, magazines, books...
In January 2009 I will take on learning Spanish, come what may ===:-), and I will have to stop intensive-active Italian training for the time being. But I ordered a monthly magazine for training Italian along with a monthly audio trainings CD, Adesso, which will start to arrive in March. I am going to work through the monthly issue for a long time to come (using my Franklin Bookman electronic dictionary on the way). And then, hopefully, I will start on trying to read books from authors like Collodi and Lampedusa....

My advantages: I like words and languages, I learnt Latin at school for 7 years (although by now I have forgotten almost everything about it), I am ambitious and motivated.

My disavantages: I do not have too much time and my discipline is just terrible, shocking and awful.... help! And of course this is a very optimistic and ambitious plan...

So, I will see - and report - where this takes me...

Oh, I forgot to list my goals:
  • by October I want to have a few nice days in Rome and be able to communicate my basic needs and wishes
  • by December I want to be able to write my own www-homepage in understandable Italian and to make further progress by reading my monthly Italian-study magazine and perhaps even some not too difficult books
  • eventually I want to reach some fluency in Italian - I want to be able to chat and talk in Italian and to read anything I fancy at least with the help of my electronic dictionary - and to be able to communicate with any given Italian patient in Italian

Edited by Marchal on 16 February 2008 at 2:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 4
15 February 2008 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Wow! So many materials! Considering that there is quite a lot online too, I'm not sure you'll need nearly as much.

For example, you can also use http://www.kom.tu-darmstadt.de/eurocom/index.php?p=selecttex t&lng=42 to get some passive knowledge in. It is made for people who already know French or Spanish, but I think with Latin and a dictionary you may have also have a good chance.
http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/modlang/carasi/site/pageon e.html is another online course.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/languages/italian/issimo/inde x.shtml is another.
http://www.mangolanguages.com and another.
http://www.cyberitalian.com/html/grammar.htm - detailed student's grammar

Use WordChamp to read Italian websites and newspapers even if 50% of the vocabulary is unknown - you only need to hover over a word to get the translation.

Get a collection of Italian movies on DVD and watch them initially in Italian with German subtitles and then in Italian with Italian subtitles. You will be amazed how many words and expressions just stick because you are encountering them in emotional situations.

Marchal
Diglot
Germany
christian-renner.deRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6076 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Latin

Message 3 of 4
15 February 2008 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
@Sprachprofi:
"Wow! So many materials! Considering that there is quite a lot online too, I'm not sure you'll need nearly as much."

Thanks for pointing out the online resources - they will be very helpful, thank you.
Perhaps I spent too much money on my equiment (it´s a bad habit of mine when starting to deal with a topic), but I don´t like learning with my computer (otherwise there would have been CD-ROM courses to consider) - I wanted to be flexible and not bound to any one place or desk.

As for the Italian movies this is a very good idea - indeed I have been searching around a bit on Amazon. I guess I will be able to profit from movies only when I have aquired some basic initial knowledge of Italian, though?

Again, the online resources are a very good hint, thank you!

BelgoHead
Belgium
Joined 6246 days ago

120 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: French, English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 4 of 4
15 February 2008 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Good luck!, quite the amount of resources you have there.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version