angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6561 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
26 February 2008 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Today, I got finished with Chapter 17 of the Korean version for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

It took me longer to get to the finish line than I expected. Part of that is because I have been cutting back on my visits to the PC room. And at home, there's no way I would read a novel without the use of a slow dictionary. Also, there is that wanderlust factor. And so, I've using my study time to read Korean children's books and the Korean Bible. Later on this week, I'll review Chapter 17 as well as finish up reading the epilogue for the book.

After I finish reading the epilogue for the Korean Harry Potter, I'll post up my next goal for Korean.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6362 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 4
26 February 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Wow, Skeeterses, then you must really know a bit of Korean!!! ;) Congrats and good luck for your next goal!! :)

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6561 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
26 February 2008 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
It's no means easy. One of these things about reading novels is that not only do you learn a lot, but you also realize how much you don't know about your target language.
Reading a novel with a dictionary in my other hand is one of the most exhaustive tasks I've done.

Because of that, I'll read a few easy Korean books before doing another Korean Harry Potter book.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6302 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 4 of 4
28 February 2008 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
skeeterses,

Congratulations! I certainly understand what you mean by you realize how much you don't know about the language after having read something like Harry Potter.

While I have a decent grasp of the language, reading Harry Potter is a tremendous challenge. In fact, I was quickly turned off by all the complex vocabulary words. I was not about to spend the time to figure out what all the words said. So, I'm quite impressed with your progress! Keep up the good work!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version